Going to need a new cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

First I had one rattie, then I had two.... :D now I have one adult, one teenager and 11 new babies whom I plan on keeping........I would like to get one large cage to hold my whole family.......I would like some help in deciding what I should get.
I would like it to be attractive (since it will be in my small living room) easy to clean and large enough to hold 13 ratties.....with lots of extra room.......I don't want anyone to feel crowded. I would like help with not only cage ideas but where is the best place to order them and what should I ask for....any and all help will be appreciated....
Oh and I would also like to get a playpen....is there anything that has lots of space but with small enough wire to hold in babies, once they are a bit older of course :lol:

For a playpen, you can't beat the Large Martin's playpen: 44" x 44" x 24"H.

For thirteen rats, a pair of Martins 695 joined at the sides works well. Maybe if you temporarily had the Martins and your current cage, the Rat Nation would hurry up and be available. You could always write the company and tell them it was urgent!!!

The ferret nation would probably hold 13 rats but the bar spacing would only be good for large boys, unless you modified it. You might want to hold off and consider the rat nation cage when it comes out in the fall ... some people attach two ferret nation cages together for lots of extra scampering room.

The martins RUDD, powder coated and with extra large doors (and all the shelves) and a pull out tray would be a great cage.
BUT for 13 ratties, you would want to custom order it with a larger foot print of 24 inches by 30 inches (holds 12 rats), 36 x 24 (holds 15 rats) or 36 x 30 (holds 18 rats). My monster cage is a martins RUDD with a footprint of 30 in by 30 in. Strongly suggest that if you do this, you have two sets of extra large doors on each level (on opposite sides) so that it is easier to clean (ie, 6 doors instead of 3)

My monster RUDD, 30 in by 30 in
Rattiesinthekitchen.jpg

Or you can combine 2 martins R695s (but it really only is supposed to hold 10 or 11). Here is a picture from when I had the "gang of ten" in two connected martin R695s.
2cagessidebysideQuicke-mailview.jpg

Since you will need something before the babies are two weeks old, I would suggest the R695 on kijiji (if it is in good shape). You can always resell it later, once you decide what you want to do. Either that or your husband needs to get very busy building :D

As for the playpen, you want the large martins play pen as suggested by godmother. That is what I have.
Dec08peekaboo.jpg

I have decided to get the R695. Godmother is going to pick it up for me...Isn't she the best (hugs) :D
I also have another home made cage similar to the one I am using now ....a little bit smaller..I can join them all together....so that should be good enough until the fall....when hopefully the Rat Nation will come out...if not I will buy a large RUDD.
My Hubby is going to make me a playpen for now.........

Dahlas said:
My Hubby is going to make me a playpen for now.........

Would you mind taking a picture of it when hes done? I've been wanting a playpen for my girls and boys but my mind goes blank when it comes to making it out of something they can't climb.

It always amazes me how agreeable he is about building "all" my ideas.......I never seem satisfied for long...before I make him build something else...and he hasn't complained about it yet...almost 18 years later......
I will post pictures of what he makes...but eventually I am getting a martins playpen like SQ's....It is so nice......

Back