Going on vacation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuncyTheFrog

I'm going to a three day conference this weekend, and it got me thinking: when I do have rats, how long is it safe to be away from them without getting a sitter? What should one do to prep a cage for a few days if you need to leave ("a few days" being whatever the length was for question one)?

Make sure food bowls are full ( usually good idea to have more than one) make sure water bottles are full ( again more than one would be good) make sure cage is super clean , and that the rats have a good long play time before you go. Also , if you have any friends/relatives that could check up on them once and a while while your away , that would be good. I went away for 3 days , and that is what I did and when I got home everyone was fine!

If it's only one night, I stock up on their food really well, fill a few water bottles and let them have at it. If it is any longer than that I have a neighbour come to just check in and make sure everyone is alive and do food or water top offs if needed once a day.

I've heard of people leaving their rats for the weekend with no ill effect. If you can, I'd have someone check up on them, add fresh water and food.
Since having rats, I've left my rats for 1 week in the last 7 years. My teenage boys looked after the rats. It killed me to leave them and probably not something I'll ever do again... for 3 days, yes, I'd do that but not any longer much to my husband's dismay.

I've left my ratties for two nights, and everyone turned out alright.
Just stocked up on food and hid some treats around for them. :wink2:

Back