Girl is suddenly biting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

Sasha , my smallest girl has always been a sweety. She never bit anyone or even attempted to... this past week though , she has been biting people! She bit my brother so hard she drew blood. I don't know what to do , this is just not like her. What do you think I should do? :wallbang:

When are the bites occuring? How old is she? Any other changes with her or their living situation?

She is about 5-6 months old , she bites people when they go to pet her through the bars , like petting her nose through the cage , and nothing has changed at all really...

She's at that prime age to be going into her heat cycles and hormonal stresses. One should never pet through cage bars. It's an invasion of territory. Most rats bite and ask questions later. This will have to be tolerated for awhile until she settles down again.

ohhhh , i did not know that! Thank you so much I thought she was turning mean!! I will def give her her space :D I do have one more question , What does it mean when someone says " brux and boggling" if i spelled that correctly. :D

taken from here:
http://www.ratbehavior.org/WhatIsMyRatDoingFAQ.htm

Rats grind their front teeth together producing a grinding sound called bruxing or chattering. Rats probably grind their teeth together to wear them down (a process called thegosis). A rat's incisors grow continuously. This constant growth enables rats to spend their lives gnawing on things without wearing their teeth down to the gum. But it also means that rats must use their teeth continually to keep them from growing too long, hence the tooth grinding.

Rats grind their teeth in times of stress. For example, a pet rat may grind its teeth at the vet's office, or during a tense interaction with another rat, or when the rat experiences pain. Anecdotally, rats may also grind their teeth when they are relaxed, rather like purring in a cat.

boggling:
Sometimes, a rat's eyes may vibrate rapidly in and out of the eye socket, a phenomenon called eye boggling. This odd eyeball movement often occurs at the same time as bruxing, or tooth grinding. The reason bruxing and eye boggling occur together is anatomical: a part of the muscle that pulls up the rat's lower jaw passes through the eye socket, behind the eyeball. When a rat grinds its teeth, it moves its lower jaw rapidly up and down, and the contractions of the jaw muscle vibrate the eyeball in and out of the socket in time with the jaw.

Eye boggling is associated with intense bruxing. Anecdotally, eye boggling occurs at times of great contentment and relaxation.

Now she just bit me! I wasn't even doing anything , just cleaning the cage saw her looking at me so i gave her a pet on the head and she bit me .... :doh:

This was inside the cage? Whenever you clean the cage, you'll have to take her out, or let her walk out, pop her on your shoulder. Another thing you can do is lots of one on one socializing with her. Take her out of the cage several times a day and have a walk around your home for a bit with her and put her back in. Show her that her cage always comes back to her.

How am I supposed to do that with her if she just bites me when I attempt to pick her up? ( also , on my shoulder she bit my ear!!)

She bit your ear or nipped your ear? There's a big difference. Some rats are natural nippers, it's like love nips.
To have her on your shoulder: open the cage door, let her come out on her own, let her walk up your arm and place her on your shoulder. Or you could let her walk out of the cage, and then scoop with both hands and lift her to your shoulder.

You can also try standing in front of the cage with the door open. Do it quietly. Place your whole arm in the cage with your hand in a fist. (that way she cant bite your fingers, which tend to hurt and bleed more) Let her smell you, that is important as their sight in poor. Have a yoghurt treat in the fist of your hand that you can offer her when she looks more comfortable. This may help. She will learn to associate your smell with something yummy :blowbub:
Testing, tasting or nipping are not uncommon. Sometimes when you pull away quickly, it will appear to be a bite when its not.

Good luck

Jorats , i am used to the love nibbles. She was famous for them when i first got her , but the ear nibble , was an little evil rattie bite!!! It hurt :( But i will keep trying :D

Back