Ginger's skin issues...what is it?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeymommy

So I posted a while ago about My girl ginger having a skin issue. I treated all the rats with ivernmectin (spelling?)to rule out any pests....and she still has her skin problems. The redness has spread all around her mouth and around left eye, scabbing still on her right ear and some scabbing inside her left ear (left stuff looks like earwax), she has scabs all over and some spots that look warty now, she also has a spot right above her tail that looks like a dry patch of skin.....she seems so uncomfortable and freaks when I try and touch her....warm baths seem to help....any ideas before I take her to the vet so I am a bit more educated, the vet doesn't normally treat small animals. Thanks!

I got pics...not that great but gives an idea, I hope!

Last edited:
Honestly it looks like a fungal infection to me. It reminds me of a fungus my sister's dog got when he swan in a neighbor's pond. Can rats take ketokonizole shampoo?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

How many times did you treat them? You need three doses with that stuff and full cage cleaning each time (clean everything). It does look like something else might be going on though with her eye. Healing vibes to her from all of us.

I agree with mamarat, it's time to go back to the vet for more treatment. I would ask for Revolution and also perhaps a shampoo for fungal infection and antibiotics.

I took Ginger to the vet and was prescribed an antibiotic for a fungal infection, I was also told to put a anti-fungal cream on it...It's been two weeks but the sores seem to look worse, do you think it means they are getting better? Before they looked like light coloured scabs but now they are darker....like blood dried up.

Back