Ginger has a tooth abscess (quick update)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewi

My rat Ginger has a abscess in his mouth. The vet thinks it may be a tooth abscess or perhaps a tumour. The abscess was cleaned out by the vet and Ginger has been on baytril and doxycycline since the 15th April (10 days ago).

It's improved a little, but he still is having problems eating. Are there any other antibiotics that I should try or are the current ones the best for mouth infections. I was thinking that maybe amoxyciline and baytril would be better. Any suggestions on what I can do to help Ginger would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!

Dewi

Oh god Dewi...those are the worst ever of all abscesses. I'd try Chlorpalm. It has been proven to break through the abscess wall. My sister's Tanzie has a severe tooth abscess. It didn't end well but if it's caught early enough, maybe the Chlorpalm will help.

Thanks Jo, I'll talk about this with the vet tomorrow. I'm giving Ginger some Metacam aswell to help with the pain, but it seems to make him really sleepy, the poor lad.

Thanks Dahlas for your support too.

I got some clydamycin (sp?) from the vet rather than the Chlorpalm. It's supposed to be good for mouth infections. It did wonders on my cat who had awful mouth ulcers (he had FIV which caused really a bad gum infection). So hopefully this works for Ginger and won't have any nasty side effects on him. I'll be keeping a close eye on things like allergies, diarrhoea and that sort of thing.

I hope this work out okay for Ginger. I feel so bad for him. :(

Well giving the antibiotic is proving to be a real problem. It's hideously bitter and very hard to disguise in something. I'm going to ask the vet about giving SQ injections of clindamycin as I can't go through this struggle with him. It's cruel IMO and seeing as he's over 3yo, I don't want him spending his last months on this planet having bitter meds forced into his mouth twice daily. So lets hope the injections work... cross my fingers.

SQ I've never heard of a pharmacy doing that. Do you need a prescription from the vet to get that done?

Yes, the vet can call in a request to a pharmacy to compound it. Meanwhile, do you have access to things like honey and rice milk and Strawberry Nesquick? They can help a lot in disguising bitter meds.

Good luck with your poor sweetie.

The vet phoned the perscription in to a pharmacy that compounds medicine.
Thety made a mistake and initially gave me the injectable chlorpalm - nothing could hide its horrible taste.
It was fairly expensive, but the ratties liked the peanut butter flavoured oral chlorpalm.

At present, I am adding a drop or two of strawberry quick, a bit of olive oil and some baby cereal to baytril and the ratties seem to think it tastes good ... and the baytril is really bitter.

good luck,
hope you can find a combo that helps get the meds down

I tried strawberry yoghurt, choc nesquick and baby ceral with sugar added (not all mixed together). Tonight I'll try honey and strawberry nesquick. I'd actually prefer to inject him so long as there isn't an increased risk of an allergy response. Subcutaneous injections are easy and pretty pain free. If it was an IM injection I'd think twice about it.

Usually the rats will wolf down baytril mixed with strawberry yoghurt or soy milk without a fuss. But this clindamycin takes bitterness to a new level. :sick2:

Going to call the vet in half an hour about getting an injectable clindamycin. Cross my fingers there's one I can use!

Dewi

Just talked to the vet. She said that I can get injectable cloramphenacol (Clorpalm) for Ginger. Pity about the other antibiotic not being available in an injectable form. However this should be a lot more pleasant than being force fed something that bitter.

Back