Giant lump under jaw?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There really isn't anything anyone can say ....
It has all been said .... he is suffering, he needs to see a vet immediately to be put on antibiotics,
and depending on how far this has progressed he may possibly need to have surgery, or possibly need to be humanely put to sleep.

The longer he has to wait to get the vet care he needs, the further this will progress until it will be too late to do anything.
If you can not give him the medical care he desperately needs, please rehome him to someone who will provide him with that care.

Please do not get any more pets until you are in a position to provide them with vet care.
I am sorry you are in this position and very very sorry that he is going through this.

I completly agree you with. I definitely would give him Vet care if it were up to me and I would pay for it if it were my money. My parents are my only blockage :( no matter how hard I've tried, they will not budge with their stubborn opinion that he NEEDS vet care.

I want to give him the best care possible but I can only do so much without disrespecting my parent's opinions.

Poor bubber. I was worried that your pics would show the abscess there. I hate seeing an abscess on the bottom of the jaw. You will have to be prepared for something like this happening with your boy. :sad3:

Here is a little rescue girl I took in, her abscess was in the same place

Maddysabscess.jpg

Then I cleaned it up and put her on antibiotics

Maddysscabisoffandherabscessiscl-1.jpg

She seemed to improve and seemed to be healing with twice daily flushes (the isotonic saline did NOT go into her mouth)

MaddyAbscessApril23.jpg

Maddyabscessday11.jpg

Then it all went bad. It started to bleed...and she died in my hands 3 weeks after arriving

MaddysthroatMay13.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
Poor bubber. I was worried that your pics would show the abscess there. I hate seeing an abscess on the bottom of the jaw. You will have to be prepared for something like this happening with your boy. :sad3:

Here is a little rescue girl I took in, her abscess was in the same place.

Then I cleaned it up and put her on antibiotics

Then it all went bad. It started to bleed...and she died in my hands 3 weeks after arriving

Oh dear :sad3:

I second lilspaz's and my previous comments. Any abscess near the jaw or teeth of small animals (be it rats, hamsters, bunnies, guinea pigs, etc.) is very serious and needs prompt and aggressive treatment. Even then, many times they are fatal. The way the infection is right now, he is suffering. Rats are prey animals and in the wild they hide their pain well to keep predators away - many of their domestic cousins do the same. If you can't get him medical attention right away, you need to either give him up to someone that can or have him humanely euthanized. Keeping him comfortable without a vet's help is not possible here.

victoria said:
I second lilspaz's and my previous comments. Any abscess near the jaw or teeth of small animals (be it rats, hamsters, bunnies, guinea pigs, etc.) is very serious and needs prompt and aggressive treatment. Even then, many times they are fatal. The way the infection is right now, he is suffering. Rats are prey animals and in the wild they hide their pain well to keep predators away - many of their domestic cousins do the same. If you can't get him medical attention right away, you need to either give him up to someone that can or have him humanely euthanized. Keeping him comfortable without a vet's help is not possible here.

[schild=12,1,000000,C0C0C0:zhh6d6a0]I agree Completely[/schild:zhh6d6a0]

Is there anyone close to her that could take Enzo and get him the proper care? I would pitch in some $.
I don't have any hope that ThatRatGirl can help him with her parents' lack of caring.

You've been told at least twice here to try to find him a home to aleviate his sufferering and maybe save his life.
But you just keep talking about you and your parents... And I don't believe you even approached your parents begging, what parent would turn away a child begging for their pet's life??
So I'd rather hear about the rattie. Could you try to hook him up with a rescuer here? You'd get love & admiration for that.

Fidget said:
And I don't believe you even approached your parents begging, what parent would turn away a child begging for their pet's life??

I believe very much that she has asked her parents and the rats and their health care needs are not a priority for them. I know my parents would spend very little on a cat or dog at the vet (or in general), definitely nothing on a rodent or other small animal. Wouldn't matter how much I begged or asked them for that to be my birthday/Christmas present. In fact, if I were living under their roof and found the money to take them myself and they found out, it would not be pretty. I'm 30 years old and I still get flack about the amount I spend on my guys.

victoria said:
Fidget said:
And I don't believe you even approached your parents begging, what parent would turn away a child begging for their pet's life??

I believe very much that she has asked her parents and the rats and their health care needs are not a priority for them. I know my parents would spend very little on a cat or dog at the vet (or in general), definitely nothing on a rodent or other small animal. Wouldn't matter how much I begged or asked them for that to be my birthday/Christmas present. In fact, if I were living under their roof and found the money to take them myself and they found out, it would not be pretty. I'm 30 years old and I still get flack about the amount I spend on my guys.

Thankyou! I'm glad someone understands.

I have convinced my mom to take him to the Vet and that he NEEDS Vet care. Since you guys say that jaw/tooth abscess are really serious and the outcomes are usually not so good. I don't think that antibiotics or intensive surgery is going to fix this. And if I did do surgery and everything and another abscess came back, I'd feel even worse off for letting him go through so much uncomfortableness and pain. My gut is telling me that the best thing for him would to be to put him down. Even if I did rehome him, he probably wouldn't survive very long, I really think his tooth is infected as well..

Also the fur around the abscess is gone and his skin is showing.

ThatRatGirl said:
victoria said:
Fidget said:

I have convinced my mom to take him to the Vet and that he NEEDS Vet care. Since you guys say that jaw/tooth abscess are really serious and the outcomes are usually not so good. I don't think that antibiotics or intensive surgery is going to fix this. And if I did do surgery and everything and another abscess came back, I'd feel even worse off for letting him go through so much uncomfortableness and pain. My gut is telling me that the best thing for him would to be to put him down. Even if I did rehome him, he probably wouldn't survive very long, I really think his tooth is infected as well..

I think if you've found someone willing to try and able to invest the money necessary, it's worth a try. Even if they end up taking him to the vet and the vet says nothing can be done, at least you tried. Just because these things can't be helped most of the time doesn't mean they're always hopeless. If you feel it's too late though, then euthanasia would be best. Whatever you decide, you need to do it quickly...

victoria said:
ThatRatGirl said:
victoria said:
Fidget said:

I think if you've found someone willing to try and able to invest the money necessary, it's worth a try. Even if they end up taking him to the vet and the vet says nothing can be done, at least you tried. Just because these things can't be helped most of the time doesn't mean they're always hopeless. If you feel it's too late though, then euthanasia would be best. Whatever you decide, you need to do it quickly...

I will be taking him to the vet. I convinced my mom last night but she's at work right now and I'll talk to her tonight about everything. I will be getting the Vet's opinion first and then deciding. I will get him into the vet's as fast as they are open with appointments.

Most vets do not know how to humanely put a rat to sleep.
If you decide to have him put to sleep, you will need to discuss the method with the vet and hopefully you will be allowed to be present.
Here is a thread about how to have a rat put to sleep humanely.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9582

I am so very sorry

Most vets do not know how to humanely put a rat to sleep.
If you decide to have him put to sleep, you will need to discuss the method with the vet and hopefully you will be allowed to be present.
Here is a thread about how to have a rat put to sleep humanely.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9582

I am so very sorry

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't update sooner, it's been a pretty busy bunch of days.

We took Enzo to a small practice vet who is good for small animals. The vet doesn't like using antibiotics if they aren't needed. She looked at him throughly and said that his infection is pretty much gone and should go away on it's own. The abscess didn't seem to be caused by a tooth and she believes tht he probably scratched it wrong on something and it just happened to get infected and cause an abscess. She cleaned the opening with some anitbiotic fluid and then said that he should be fine. & if anything worsens to come back.

His abscess has completely closed and his fur is all grown back there. It doesn't even look like he had an abscess :)
He still is acting completely normal and I'm so glad we didn't need to go down the euthansia route with him!

Back