Getting a FN!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

My husband knows that I've been wanting a FN cage for a while now, especially for when our newest girls are done with their quarantine. Even more so with us taking three boys from someone who could no longer care for them.

He worked a night shift last night out of town, and on his way home this morning at around 7:30 he calls me and asked if I wanted to get up, get ready and head for Buffalo to get the cage!!!!

Were about an hour north of Toronto, so to drive to the US isn't a big deal. Especially since we will be paying $150 for the cage instead of $300. Even with gas and duty tax, its well worth it.

Can't wait, and I'll be sure to get pictures after I've decorated it!!

So excited!
We officially have it and just crossed the border to come home! I don't know if I can wait another two and a half hours to get home and set it up!

The only thing I'm stuck on so far is how do I attach the hardware cloth onto the inside?
We were forced to go with the galvanised hardware cloth. Both Home Depot and Lowes didn't have anything else. And I don't know where else in Ontario to look for it.

If someone could help me with how to attach the wire to the cage that would be great! I'd do a search of the board here but I'm currently using my phone so that's not the easiest task.

Thanks!

I don't know who it was that had the pictures, but I saw someone had used large washers and short bolts and nuts to secure the mesh to their cage! It looked so nice that I am on my way out the door right now to buy some hardware mesh and bolts, nuts and washers to do mine (as well as a wire snips) I can't wait until it is modded and everyone can be in their new cage!

Coated hardware cloth doesn't seem to be available at stores in Canada... you should have bought that in the states too!

Congrats on the cage though!!

I must just be lucky here in Manitoba... Home Depot always has the green PVC coated wire here.

As for attaching it you can just buy a package of zip ties and cut the pieces to size then zip tie them onto the cage.

Can't wait for pictures. :)

^
Because its snow storming here and I really don't feel like driving if I don't need to, I'm calling Home Depot and asking them if they have it.

Thanks for letting me know that!

You drove to the states to get it. That's AWESOME. How much would you say it cost with duty and everything?? Also where did you get it from.

^
We live in Peterborough and we droive to Buffalo.
I SWORE on the Pet Smart site it said $159, I know it did. But they've changed their prices recently so it went up to $229.
We only spent about $35-$40 in gas, and we paid $23 for duty at the border.

It was totally worth it though seeing as we both love traveling.

You're from Midland? My husband is from Waubaushene.

I was so mad in the store!!

They did try to help us out though. The manager agreed to match the websites offer for 15% off, plus they gave us another $5 off. So all in all, the total cost of the cage, plus the duty on it was $225.

So we paid $42 more than we thought. Its better than paying the $299.99 (with tax $338) here in Ontario!

Back