Gender Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee

Tuesday I adopted this baby rat...the pet store told me that it was a boy. I already own 3 adult females, and I have my doubts that this is, in fact, a boy. Can anyone give me a clue from this shot? This pic is a blurry cell phone shot, so if needed, I can try to get a clearer pic (if the little devil will hold still for .01 seconds). LOL

All responses will be appreciated.

Boys show testes really early.... I think you start seeing bare balls at like 5 weeks. So unless this is a REALLY young rat, I'm also thinking female.

even a scared and tucked up male would have a bulge and there is no bulge there. even my neutered boys have more there then that rat. its a girl.

was she in with other males? how old is she would you guess?

twitch said:
even a scared and tucked up male would have a bulge and there is no bulge there

I was wondering if that could be the case. Its nice to know its not :)

I hope that she's ok - in the sense that she wasnt in with boys because the pet store employee's are obviously uneducated

twitch said:
even a scared and tucked up male would have a bulge and there is no bulge there. even my neutered boys have more there then that rat. its a girl.

was she in with other males? how old is she would you guess?

Hi. Thanks everyone for input. What a shame I'm fairly new to rats (had my 3 girls almost a year, never had a boy) and I pretty much decided that the new one is a little girl. I went into petsmart not intending to adopt a new baby but I wanted to see them anyway, no harm there. lol. Don't remember how it came up but the girl that I was talking to asked if I would like to have a boy. She said that they don't sell boys as i'm sure most of you already know, well I had to see him. Some how they were accidently sent some males, she asked a fellow employee how many were left and they both said 3. So we go to the back and 2 of the remaining 3 have been adopted leaving mine all alone which made me sad. I was told because it's a boy there was no adoption charge. All I had to do is sign a piece of paper then leave. So after all of that in answer to your question maybe she was in with other boys but who knows for sure (certainly not the petsmart employees). They also told me that "he" is probably 3 or 4 months old.

If the other rats she was in with were truly males ... there's a good possibility that you're going to be handing out cigars in the next few weeks. :sad3:

I would say Female also ...

Watch her for 3 weeks because if she is pregnant you will need to be prepared for the possibility.

You can also check the little one for nipples, females have them males DON'T ;)

It is easy to forget the nipple trick ;)

I only remembered because i have a litter of 12 here at the rescue that i had to sex

Back