Garek has bloody poop

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

We just let the boys have out time and noticed that Garek had some major bloody poop and what looks like a blod clot. He has blood all over his bum. We washed it off and as we were doing that he had another bloody poop. It was quite hard and when I squeezed it the regular poop was in side. So it was almost like a shell of blood or something.

I have never seen this before.

Any ideas? He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of pain or discomfort and hasn't had any signs of illness so this is really strange.

oh dear!
I know we've had at least one post about blood in poop or leaking from a rat's anus, If I recall correctly it was less of a concern if it was fresh blood as opposed to black or tarry blood which could be from higher up in the digestive tract
- fresh blood probably coming from the rectum
but still not normal of course

:? :(

In the case I recall not too long ago, the rat was fine and it didn't happen again.

I will pray for the same outcome for your Garek

Oh dear poor Gerek hope he's ok, sorry I can't help with this either. All I can mention is that some time when I give my rats red grapes they have red toned poops, but that does look like blood. :(
Hope you find out whats causing it, sending healing vibes.

Teddy was bleeding from his bum a few months ago. He didn't have it on his poop though, he only bled for a few hours (not constantly though), he did sqeek when i squeezed his stomach, but was fine about 48 hours after. From everyone input it seemed that his rectum may have gotten cut/scratched. Good luck to your little guy!

Here is my thread if it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33064

If you are sure it is blood and not food-related, then I would guess that he either has a tumour or an intestinal infection. I would recommend a vet visit too! Good luck Garek!

Yeah we're going to try and get him in to Dr. Rose. She was on vacation so hopefully she is back. I'm thinking that if it's anything like kittens it's probably colon cancer. He has lost weight. I didn't really notice till Gail mentioned he looked a lot thiner.

He had no bloody poops today but we'll still have to get him checked out.

I wonder if he may have eaten something that, as it passed (like a tiny shard of wood from a toy) may have caused a brief internal scratch that has resolved itself. A checkup is good anyway, to determine if there's any tenderness. The vet may be able to prescribe something to stop any internal bleeding. Is he on any kind of long-term anti-inflammatory med at all?

Back