Galvinized steel cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reillyratgirl

Hi,
Is there anyway to safely paint a steel cage? I had a large one made for our future pets now I am reading that galvinized steel reacts with rat urine! Honestly, who would have known! :)
So what can I do to make the cage less smelly and safe for the rats?
Thanks.

The galvanized steel isn't as bad as people make it out to be...yes it does hold the smell of urine but you can scrub it out mostly.

If you don't like the galvanized look and don't wanna have to scrub like your life depended on it, you can use plastikote, a spray on plastic coating that most hamster cages are done with pretty much. There's ones you can use that's safe for children so I'd get that one, I don't think it's toxic.

jorats said:
Check out your yellow pages for powder coating, you might find a place that will do your cage.
Lucky for me I was able to get a full refund and did not purchase the steel cage. I bought a superpet cage used for 100$ so I'm very. I read that the steel leaves a zinc residue on the rats feet then the rats lick their feet. This can result in zinc poisoning.

reillyratgirl said:
jorats said:
Check out your yellow pages for powder coating, you might find a place that will do your cage.
Lucky for me I was able to get a full refund and did not purchase the steel cage. I bought a superpet cage used for 100$ so I'm very. I read that the steel leaves a zinc residue on the rats feet then the rats lick their feet. This can result in zinc poisoning.
There actually isn't enough zinc on the bars for it to be an issue even if they chew it. This is often mistakenly stated because people mistakenly apply this knowledge with birds (which have a ridiculously low tolerance to zinc) to rats who have a ridiculously high tolerance to zinc. They actually need some zinc in their diet!

Anyway, I see that you bought another cage to avoid the issue, but for others reading, you can purchase Rustoleum Painter's touch to paint a cage. It must cure for two weeks to be pet safe. It is unleaded and non toxic when dry.

Back