Fur issues! (Elderly rats!) Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowyrattie

So I got 2 new rescue boys in a few days ago and their pervious owner said one boy has really bad dandruff so I was like alright I can treat that (the boys are about 1.5-2 years old) so I treated for lice or mites.

But taking a closer look it actually looks like dandruff? Is it possible for rats to even have eczema? I was reading so many different forums and articles saying it is, but he'll have to be treated for it for the rest of his life.

If I can get a video/picture of his skin can you guys help me determine what this might be I just want clarification, he also is pretty large (possibly over weight) but he doesn't have scabs anywhere on his body and his cage mate seems not bothered or anything but I treated him to just in case.

Any sort of help or advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240220_023101.jpg
    20240220_023101.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240220_023039.jpg
    20240220_023039.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240220_022356.jpg
    20240220_022356.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
So I got 2 new rescue boys in a few days ago and their pervious owner said one boy has really bad dandruff so I was like alright I can treat that (the boys are about 1.5-2 years old) so I treated for lice or mites.

But taking a closer look it actually looks like dandruff? Is it possible for rats to even have eczema? I was reading so many different forums and articles saying it is, but he'll have to be treated for it for the rest of his life.

If I can get a video/picture of his skin can you guys help me determine what this might be I just want clarification, he also is pretty large (possibly over weight) but he doesn't have scabs anywhere on his body and his cage mate seems not bothered or anything but I treated him to just in case.

Any sort of help or advice is appreciated!
if you look at his skin in that area do you see any orange spots? If so I'd say its just buck grease he can't clean away, you can help him with a soft toothbrush and water if he'll allow it! If not you can try putting a small drop of olive oil and rubbing it in, maybe it'd help! I've never had rats with dandruff(only dealt with buck grease) so I'm not 100% sure how to help.

Back