frustrating Freyja

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pscychopomp

One moment I think she's the cutest thing, then she does something mean and I become not so fond of her :sad3:
Today I was petting Thora in the hammock while Freyja was sleeping on the ledge under it, she got up and like a split second later she did what I feel was a lunge at my hand. Earlier I took Luther out and she was at the side of the cage closest to me so I went to let them sniff noses, but he put his paws on the bars and she bit his fingers (broke skin). I almost wonder if she thought it was my finger because it happened in a split second as well (I mean she didn't even take the chance to sniff first). Just now she was eating a block and Thora walked up the ramp to where she was, Freyja just turned her way and Thora squeaked even though she didn't actually do anything. Sometimes I feel like Thora is in an abusive relationship, whenever there's a tiff she's always the one on the defensive. A couple days ago I saw Freyja just run at Thora and bite her on the side, I guess it could have been her trying to initiate play but Thora just squeaked and certainly didn't start playing with her.

The guy I got her from is a 'breeder' I think, he had about 3 litters of various ages (Freyja was in the older group at 2.5 months). He said he was trying to cut down on numbers. I attributed her biting to not being handled but as time goes on I think maybe she was born of rats with bad temperaments...I got the impression he just breeds for the siamese markings.

I just feel like I have this rat that hates me but I'm obligated to put up with it because I bought her so she's my responsibility. She's only 4.5 months, I can't help but think do I have to deal with this for 2 more years? I don't want to be afraid to have my hand in the cage. I want to be able to pick her up and hold her, and have her lick and play with me like Thora and Luther do. :sad3:

I try to think back to approximately 10 years ago when my dad brought home an adult pregnant rat from the pet store. She was a biter and we had to let her out of the cage before putting our hand in to get at the babies. I know at some point she came around and was a great rat but I can't remember what it took or after how long. I keep holding on to that for hope but in the back of my mind I feel hopeless because it might be behaviour that's bred into her and she can't help it.

Well I guess I'm just ranting, I'm up too late and her biting Luther really upset me and then seeing Thora just squeak at Freyja turning her way added to it. If only they could invent 'soft paws' for rat teeth :roll:

I've had a couple of she-devils like that... it's an aggressiveness. But she's mild and that's good. Is it only Freyja and Thora in the cage? How big is the cage. So far, what you've described is cage territorial which is not so bad. You'll need to respect her space. She may always lunge at you, only because her instincts tell her too. It's not her fault, she was wired that way. But that may change if you change cages or add buddies or buddy losses. I have noticed that with my she-devils, a change dramatically changed their behavior. She needs a good strong alpha to take over and make her feel secure again.

Joanne said:
Is Freyja spayed? Neutering may mellow her out, and can't hurt!

:giggle: I've never heard of neutering girls lol.

But as for this idea (correct me if I'm wrong) neutering only works in males becuse it reduces their hormones and I dont belive spaying has the same affect on females.

Neuter pertains to neither gender. It means having no reproductive organs. You can use the word neutering for both sex. Spay on the other hand pertains only to female. (removing the ovaries)

I've seen it in some females where spaying actually helped them curb their bullying. It worked wonders on my Bijou. But for the most part... I'd say it's a slim chance it would work.

Well I am expecting to get another girl soon, she'll be a bit younger than Thora, 8 weeks-ish. I'm hoping that those two will be buddies and Freyja will have her space, or at least any aggression can be divided between the two. Thora is a big suck, she has always tried to climb on top or squeeze under Freyja, even now that she's almost the same size, she definitely needs a companion. Right now they're in a cage that is almost big enough for 3 rats (couple inches too short). I do have a bigger one that they can go in after the new addition. Should I separate her from them for awhile? Then she'd kind of be the new rat to the group/cage?

Back