Fruit/Veggie supplementing, and eye color?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't call it inhumane at all. In the strictest sense of it all, you're just providing additional nutrients and some variety in their diet. They should be getting everything they need from a high quality lab block as their staple. They don't *have* to have a breakfast and dinner every single night. Even just giving them a good salad/veggie mix and fruits a few times a week would be great.

Another interesting read - here in the UK we don't use lab blocks - although you can buy rat nuggets - an all in one rat food - we tend to make up our own using cereals, dog kibble, dried pasta, cereals alongside the essential fruit and veg selection.

Do any or you use like a rat muesli?

Jules, I did way in the beginning, when I first started keeping rats. My vet asked me about their diets cause my crew was very unhealthy. I was following a Suebee's diet which is the UK's equivalent and dog food. My vet (exotic) was not impressed. She did some research into it, got an animal nutritionist and other international top exotic colleagues she came back with a no go on that diet. She told me it is very lacking in many nutrients. The dog food is simply not energy dense enough for our rats. Since then, I've done a lot of research on it. Found out that rats actually do far better on very low protein and very low fat diet. Being overweight/obese causes so many ailments in rats. Too much protein and fat causes kidney damage as well as fatty liver. Too much fat contributes to tumours, even pituitary tumours. Sugar causes/feeds cancer. So, my rule of thumb when feeding rats: low protein, low fat, no sugar and no salt. I stick with a high quality rat block and daily veggies and some fruits. I don't like to give to much fruits because of the fructose.
My rats went from obese, lazy, dull coats, porphyrin, leaky eyes, dying young to slim, active, shiny, bright happy rats. My rats used to die at around 20 months, many at 14 months, but since the big change, I've had rats live over 38 months, one at 41 months and Loki at 45 months. The other live beyond 30 months, closer to 36 months. I'm sure there are other variables that factor in. But when you think that my rats don't all come from one source, from all over, several cities, then it rules out strong genetics. My rats are rescue rats, not the best of beginnings so it's really got me sold on my choice of nutrition for rats.

Thank you Jo - I think that the accepted protein levels of a "good" rat diet here is based on around the 12% mark. Many people here feed the Shunamite Diet, I am moving over to a more natural diet over the next few weeks - with unprocessed foods and a lover protein/fat level

One of these days, I'd like to sit down and calculate all the right amount of nutrients, minerals, vitamins, macro minerals and amino acids required for a health rat with fresh foods. It's scary though if you don't get the right rda then rats can become seriously ill, like vitamin K for instance. Rats need that in order to clot their blood. Vitamin K is found in dark leafy vegetables but the amount that they require daily would be like feeding one rat a whole brussel sprout each and every day.

I have to convince mine to eat food. Lily eats peas and Ruby and Hazel won't. Although I did learn something interesting, I think the first time I fed mine bananas they were in pieces the last time I did it was a mash and they loved it. They all eat broccoli but I had to do fancy work. I got Lily to eat it because she's very open to food :roll: then after Hazel ate it and then Ruby. Hazel and Ruby are very cautious of new foods.

My guys tend to stick to the stuff they like and won't try new things :roll: they love peas but won't eat the skins, they like banana but only mashed with oatmeal, if it's just banana they won't eat it, they love potato but it also has to be mashed (no butter or cream but some garlic), broccoli is ok, sweet potatoes are also ok but they will not eat carrots (in any form) the carrots can sit in the cage until they dry up :evil: or pineapple, or watermelon or strawberries or brussell sprouts, any kind lettuce but iceburg which is just water so they rarely get it but they will eat rice puffs, dry pasta and shreddies (when they can get them) like they are going out of style. Silly boys :D

Chicky, your boys wont eat brussell sprouts? That's so funny. If I cut up dinner for my girls (Say we are having chicken, rice and brussell sprouts) they will take the sprouts over everything else on their little plate! It's so cute.

Back