Front-end degeneration possible?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

My oh my, I belatedly realized last week that my boyo Wilbur is now a senior citizen! I've had him for nearly two years, and he was a couple months old when I first adopted him.

What alerted me though to his advancing age is that he's recently having trouble holding food. Normally I'd been thinking PT, but he's not showing any of the disorientation or tilty-ness that I've experienced before. If I hold a treat for him, he aims straight for it. He's not weaving when he walks, nor does he have a head tilt or weird eye buggy-ness.

One thing I've learned from my vet is testing limb strength, and when working with Wilbur last night, it does seem like his front paws are weaker and he's not able to grab tightly with them. But I keep finding him in the hanging hammocks, so he must still have some climbing ability.

Is there such thing as a reverse HED with the front feet? Or maybe arthritis? Or should I not rule out PT completely?

I have never had front end problems that weren't PTs. :(
My Poppy has problems holding her food, but is not wobbly and can still get into her hammocks. But she does have problems eating too. I first noticed because she was taking twice as long to eat her medicine off the spoon, and smearing it around. They forget how to lick too, and will nibble your fingers instead of licking.

sadly it's been the same for me, issues with the front paws invariably end up being early signs of PT
:(

is there any chance Wilbur got injured? that's the only other thing I can think of

Aww, I'm sorry....

PT is most common, but maybe it is something else? Either way, I'm sure he'll be fine for a whiiiiiile longer.

Back