Foot tumor? Bleeding from mouth?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canarats

A friend got rats from a breeder in Barrie, which are now almost two. Recently, one of them had a foot issue, which everyone on the forums told her was bumblefoot. The vet thought it was an abscess, but then found out it was a tumor!

Today the rat's sister is bleeding from the mouth, and is fast on her way out. She has never had respiratory issues or a change in body dimensions that would suggest a lung tumor. She did not fall or have any head injuries, or ingest any poison or foreign object. She did not bite her tongue, and does not have a mouth tumor. Could this possibly be a stomach tumour?

Has anyone seen any bizarre issues like this in their life? I thought I had seen (and read) it all, but I don't remember ever hearing anything like this.

We had a rat with a tumour on the leg really close to the foot so this makes sense.
The mouth bleed is scary. I wonder if it could be a tumour in the throat?
The breeder should be contacted and told about this in her lines. Would this be Masterpiece Pets?

Could be something like Squamous Cell Carcinoma - which could result in ulceration within the mouth/esophagous and bleeding. Just a thought....
I dont think it would be from the stomach because rats cant vomit which would lead me to beleive that they would be unable to bring up undigested blood in that manner - could be ulceration in the esophagus maybe too...

Either way...im sorry to hear that the girlies arnt doing well...

Yes the breeder should be told. How did they determine it was a tumour rather than severe bumblefoot? Is the vet really competent and rat knowledgeable (not all are :roll:)

The bleeding from the mouth, has she had her teeth checked, any foul smell in the mouth indicating infection? Possibly something in the throat maybe? Poor girl :(

Poor Miss Rat died shortly after I made this post. The owner did say there was a large blood clot hanging out of her mouth. I didn't think to ask her at the time if the rat was a blue, but she was, in which light a lot of the weirder things make sense.

I had a weird shock event of my own yesterday. My own rat "died" and then recovered a few minutes later. He wasn't breathing, his heart beats were almost gone, and he was limp as a rag. Frozen in shock I held him on my shoulder thinking he was dead already. At some point I realized there was a heart beat again, and I put some cherry brandy on his tongue, which made him start to gasp and breathe again. He is OK now, but weak and resting. whew.

:cuddle: I'm glad your rattie is back! It must have been raining at the Bridge so the party was cancelled or something! As for your friend's rat... I'm very sorry to hear that one passed away... I hope that the other one makes a recovery and doesn't have anything too serious wrong :sad3:

I have had that happen, where the rat stops breathing, and the heart is racing (fibrillating) for a minute then there's a little hitch and the rat starts breathing again. Sadly I lost her a few hours later.

I would run your boy to the vet...see if there's anything that can be done for him.

I'm sorry Miss Rat is gone.

Jonah "died" in my arms, he had no heartbeat, then when I got up with him, he came back alive. I figured his heartbeat was so slow I didn't feel it anymore. Anyway he stayed with me for another 2 months. Jonah was about 28 months at the time.

Back