Foot/ankle sprain?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvZD

Hi! One of my boys was not using his foot Sunday morning. I’m guessing he may have gotten it caught in the cage somewhere? I’ve been giving him some children’s ibuprofen in the morning and evening. It’s still a bit swollen, and he is still not using it. He does come out for playtime in the mornings and runs around, but definitely not as active as usual.
The only other possible sprain I’ve dealt with was another boy who hurt the base of his tail. He was healed up in about two days. I haven’t seen any progress with Tito so I just wanted to get another opinion.
Does it look like a sprain/strain? Could it be broken? Anything else I could do for it?

The first video is from Sunday morning when I first noticed it:

And this is from tonight:

Thank you guys!!

I am seeing swelling but no real bruising so its likely a moderate sprain. These can take a few days to recover from. How much children's ibuprofen are you giving him? Its effective every 4-6 hours so you might want to try to give it 3 times a day. How much does he weigh? He looks like he's at least 400 grams so his dose should be something like 0.4 ml. He probably weighs more but I wanted to give you a reference.

He’s around 660 so I’ve just been giving him 0.65ml :) I’ve been doing twice a day because I work long hours, so that third one is hard to squeeze in without being too close to the other dose.. I have the next few days off so I can give him more if needed. I also read you don’t want to give them so much that they forget its sprained and potentially hurt it more?
Yeah I haven’t noticed any bruising at all, just a little redness. Just kinda concerned because I haven’t seen any progress so far :/ hopefully I will in a couple of days.
Thank you!!

I wouldn't worry too much about masking pain. We are more worried about bringing down the swelling which causes pain and impede circulation. If you're off yet every 4 hours for a couple of doses, then every 6 hours. See if the swelling comes down in 24 hours or so

Back