Foods?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ember19

What about feeding them cat food? I myself dont do this, only occationally because they like to escape and i find them in the cat food bag muching their life away.

jorats said:
I agree, far to high in fat and protein. But for a pregnant mom, it would be ok.

That's about the only exception I was thinking - when I got my girls from the shelter they were VERY undersized so I mixed in a small amount of beneful puppy food with the rest of their diet.

jorats said:
I agree, far to high in fat and protein. But for a pregnant mom, it would be ok.

If anyone does feel the need to supplement in this manner, please make sure you are using a very high quality food. The ones you get at your grocery store or department stores are full of chemicals and artificial colours.

moon said:
jorats said:

If anyone does feel the need to supplement in this manner, please make sure you are using a very high quality food. The ones you get at your grocery store or department stores are full of chemicals and artificial colours.

I agree! Like Meagan said she mixed in Beneful puppy food. No offence but Beneful is one of the WORST dog foods out there!

Ratlover101 said:
I agree! Like Meagan said she mixed in Beneful puppy food. No offence but Beneful is one of the WORST dog foods out there!

Oh I agree it is! But the reason being they needed something they'd be attracted to that would help them build weight fast (they were beyond skinny when we picked them up poor girls). It's not a main part of their diet by any means I promise. The SPCA suspected they may have been fed dog food at their first home, they weren't really eating the food they were giving them there just picking at it.

It worked too - they built up (we've been sneaking the dog food out over the last week) now they're eating all their grains and veggies like good little ratties.

Back