Food Question part II

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanfoodle

We can't get Harlan Teklad in Nova Scotia Canada... So we have been checking our options for the best food we can find. I think Science Diet is about the best we can find but I was wondering what of the two products we should buy. The light treats seem the best but its expensive 5.90 a 1lb bag. Canine Mature Adult 7+ is 19.99 for a 5lb bag but the Protein and Fat content seems like it maybe to high? What do you experts think?????

Light Treats $5.90 a bag

Ingredients:
Corn meal, brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, powdered cellulose, chicken, natural flavor, animal fat (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), dried egg product, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium carbonade, iodized salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), preserved with BHT and BHA, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein 15
Crude Fiber 14
Moisture 10
Crude Fat Max 7.5
Crude Fat Min 4
Calcium 0.5
Phosphorus 0.35

Canine Mature Adult 7+ $19.00 a bag

Important Information:
AAFCO Statement: Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) procedures substantiate that Science Diet® Canine Senior Small Bites provides complete and balanced nutrition for the maintenance of adult dogs.

Ingredients:
Corn meal, chicken by-product meal, soybean mill run, corn gluten meal, flaxseed, animal fat (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), dried egg product, natural flavor, L-lysine, L-tryptophan, taurine, L-arginine, glucosamine, hydrochloride, perserved with BHT and BHA, chondroitin sulfate, beta-carotene, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid {a source of Vitamin C}, niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Protein (minimum) 16
Fat (minimum) 12
Moisture (maximum) 10
Fiber (maximum) 5
Calcium (minimum) 0.4
Phosphorus (minimum) 0.3

You can order the Harlan when we all go in on large orders.
There are no more bags of Harlan 2014 left, but Mumsyrat still has some bags of Harlan 2018 left. Contact her for details if you are interested. You might check with groundhog593 to see if she has any extra Harlan for sale as well.

Another option is Oxbow Regal Rat which is sold at the Fairview animal hosp in Halifax and at NS Global Pet Foods.

The next best food, after the ones I have previously mentioned, is the Living World/Hagan Hamster extrusion lab blocks sold at Walmart.

Dog food does not meet the nutritional needs of rats.

As for treats, try peas, other veg., organic cereals, cooked oatmeal, field greens from the grocery store, etc.

hope this info. helps,
Holly

If you can't get the Harlan nor the Oxbow, then I strongly recommend Hagan Extrusion for Hamsters over the dog food.
Dog food is really a poor choice of food for rats.

The first food has a 7.5% fat! That is much too high. Also, preserved with BHA and BHT... very bad sutff.
The second food as a 12% protein. :shock: and again preserved with BHA and BHT.

In Nova Scotia trying to find Rat food at a good price has been hard. I found someone who sells Oxbows 3lb bags for $13.00. If anyone needs the info =-) I also may have a local business that will be willing to order and supply 2014 on a trial run =-) If that works out I will let you easterners know :happydance:

Global Pet Foods - Halifax
Bayers Lake Business Park
16A-201 Chain Lake Drive
Halifax, NS
B3S 1C8

Halifax - (902) 876-0894
Bedford - (902) 835-2250
Dartmouth - (902) 434-8361

I buy my bags of oxbow from there and I paid $21.97 including tax for them....
if you find someone who will supply Harlan 2014 let me know please........

Way to go hunny! I know technically our rats are 'just pets' but they are definately his (and my) babies :heart: :nod:

Back