FN to SuperPet?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

Hello!

After some thought I think may sell my single FN. The older two lack the energy they had last year when they ate through their cage in a night, and though I keep saying this, Brie surely can't be too long for this world with a malignant tumor that I noticed in December. With the summer heat my parents are really complaining about the smell and I think switching them to a cage that can hold shavings or Mountain Cat litter again would be ideal, rather than using fleece.

Nutshell situation: There are five girls. Two are 29 months old and slowing down, but are also really piggy and have prevented the youngest two from eating enough. They were separated for a week (I took the older two with me up north to medicate) and the younger ones look so much healthier (more filled out) because of it. So I wonder if I should keep them in separate accomodations for the health of the young ones, a third of the size of the older two.

Sooo does anyone have any ideas for a SuperPet cage that would hold four? This is in anticipation of Brie's death, and her sister would move back in with the young ones.

Also, how much would a single modified FN (obviously used for 10 months) sell for? The mesh could be removed, it just makes it possible to house girls. Even the miniature ones. :p

I think the single FN's, gently used or mostly brand new, are going for around $75. So I would expect something in the $40-$50 range.

As for SP's.. The new Exotic cage is nice, and has the 1/2" spacing. They're newish, so you may have to hunt for one. It's comparable to the Martin's 695, so it'll easily hold 4 rats, or even 5 if Brie continues to fool you. It does have the 3 levels, so the younger ones would have room to get away from Brie so they could eat.

Aw, really? On Amazon they're $152 new, amazing there's such a reduction! Any difference if the hardware cloth that's on it is new? :D

Thanks so much for the cage reference, that looks fantastic, especially with the 1/2" spacing. My only worry about getting one with room for more is GGMR. :giggle: I'll definitely have a look around for that one! Thanks again. :D

Yea, it's awful how much things depreciate, and how quickly. Something like 20%/mo or something equally ridiculous. If you find someone who has girls, I'm sure they would appreciate the new mesh, though!

I've got that exotic SP cage, I do love it but it's way way smaller than the single FN. I've got four rats in it and I'm not happy with the space in there. I wouldn't keep more than three rats in that cage. Four if they get lots and lots of out time.
I'm moving my four into a single FN. :wink2:

LOL Anne. x) I do worry sometimes we'll feed off each other's GGMR! And you know, I'll be little help if we come across a bunch of rats in need when I get back in Guelph next month, lol. Somehow I can see our housemates booting us out so we'd need to find a place with a rat room. :p Orrr the FN could be used to foster a mother if Tara lands herself with another litter. Once they're older I mean.

I need to stop plotting! *slaps self*

Anyway! I'll do more shopping around if the Exotic cage isn't great. That 1/2" spacing pretty much sold me but...Jo's review is impossible to ignore, lol. There must be another large 1/2" bar spacing cage out there.

Omg. Cage shopping time. Am I a freak for loving that?

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. :)

I have purchased two single used FNs. Each cost me $100.
What you can get for a used cage probably depends on where you live and how much demand there is.
Instead of selling your cage, you could consider buying or making a deeper pan.

Haven't seen the exotic SP cage - but I did see a picture.
It has a lot less floor space than the martins R695,
so it would not be able to hold as many ratties.

Not sure if you had thought of this but maybe a martins? Maybe a member is selling theirs. I love mine and I use YN in the bottom. It's a great cage.

In retrospect, SQ has a good point. Lots of people have made their own deeper pans so that the FN can hold litter. You could make a full corplast pan for alot cheaper than a new cage.

That is a great idea, and I know it would kill my dad if I sold the cage so soon after he spent all that on the hardware cloth to make it fit the girls. I don't suppose anyone wrote a how-to on making these pans elsewhere in the forum? :D

I know Shelagh made some pans, but I don't know if she posted a How-To. I'll bug her later this morning to post one, though.

I think just making a pan for the bottom part is your ideal situation... and maybe still use fleece for the upper level? (or wipedowns)

I think you'll have a lot of trouble going from the FN to a SP style cage. They're just so less fun to decorate!

Found what I was looking for! I knew Jack had also made pans for her FN:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61&p=12834

If you go Jack's route, I'd secure all of the seams with some heavy duty tape. If the girls don't chew the corplast, you could even use something waterproof, like duct tape.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, I've never used this material before. :) Thank you for the link!

Duct tape solves everything it seems. ;D Another summer project will be underway soon I suppose for the rats, lol. But at least this one doesn't look painful! (as opposed to handling the hardware cloth)

Back