FN or The Rat Skyscraper?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best ratty cage?

• Ferret Nation Model 142

• The Rat Skyscraper (R-695)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sami

I'm having trouble deciding which cage to purchase. I'm planning on getting 2 (or 3, hehe) rattie girls from Mainely Rat Rescue in the future, but would like to have the cage before-hand. I'm debating whether to get the Ferret Nation 142 or the Rat Skyscraper from Martin's. The price is relatively the same for both, so I'm not worried about that. I plan to cover the FN with wire mesh if needed, and will be using fleece as bedding regardless of the cage.

What are the pros and cons of these cages? I can't find anything wrong with the Rat Skyscraper except that the doors are very small and cleaning looks like it would be hard. I love the overall design of the FN except for modifying the bar spacing.

Thanks in advance!

I'm gonna gowith the FN. If I had to choose for myself, I would love the bigger doors. It makes such a difference. Both my cages have doors that are too small to fit a wheel inside. And with my boys cage I have to remove the whole top just to do a few things. So I think if it comes down to the doors, bigger is better.

If you decide on the martins, useful modifications are:

extra large doors (the door holes in my cage are 12 in by 13 in) and a pull out bottom tray. I have all the balconies or shelves in my cage as well, with no problems (concern of martins when people get the extra large doors). BTW, you can also custom order martins cages with larger foot prints.

Both are good cages.
Difficult decision.

edited: not much of a price difference but if you get the extra large doors you do not need the flip top lid. Wheels etc. fit through my doors ... actually, my upper body fits through the doors. lol

I'm leaning more towards the FN now, because I just noticed that it's larger than the R-695, and is basically the same price as the R-695 with the XL doors, pull out tray, powder coated, and flip-top lid.

I'll wait for more answers before my decision is set in stone, though.

Thanks for the answers thus far!

I'd say the FN 142 that's what we just got for our ratties and they absolutely love it! It's an awesome cage!!! So happy with it. Just have a second person to help you put it together if you get it lol

I absolutely adore my FN but for girls, it would need modification, or else girls might just squeeze right out.
So I went with the Rudd because you can put babies and petite girls in that cage. It's still lots of room and lot of space to decorate too.

Martin's now make the R-695 with extra large doors: 14x14 on top and 14x13 on the bottom. I got it without the flip top lid, and I find cleaning fine, it is an excellent cage.

I'm voting for the FN because of the doors and the ease of expansion. If you ever want to expand you don't need to cut holes in it and change it completely which might make it unusable if you need to unexpand it. ALso, I think that after you add all of the changes to the Martins the price might skyrocket.

Well, first I had my mind set on the FN, but then I didn't think I would feel like modifying it, so I looked into the R-695 and decided I would get that instead. I was set on the R-695 for a while, but then I managed to find the ferret.com link again floating about, so my attention was brought back to the FN. I really like all of the room in the FN, and I also love that the doors open full-length.

Both cages have relatively no price difference, as shipping for the R-695 is only about $10, and $7 for the FN.

Hmm...still not quite sure which to choose at this point, but it looks like the FN might be taking over my thoughts.

I just got my FN and got it all assembled and it is HUGE! HHHUUUGGGEEE!!! I couldn't believe how big it really is! I wouldn't buy any other cage ever again, I bought all of the modding stuff and I'm going to work on that tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes and whether or not it is worth it.

Willow Bean, How did your RN cage turn out? Let me know because I was really thinking about getting one and I'm up against the decision just like you to buy a FN or get a Martin's.

Back