Fleas. On rats and cats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

This might not be in the right section. I apologize if thats the case.

Can rat fleas be transfered to cats? I thought I heard from someone at some point that that fleas from a rat can't be transfered to cats.

I'm pretty sure every single one of my animals have fleas. Seven cats, eleven rats and we're not sure about the rabbits. I'd have to check them.
We have an appointment to take one of our cats to the vet tomorrow. He got out a week ago and when we found him, he was missing a nail and its all exposed.
Now, he is limping, but hes not taking pressure off of that paw, hes taking it off of one of his front paws. He is missing a patch of hair and when I try to put Polysporin on, he flinches. So it appears that thats the spot thats bugging him. We see the vet tomorrow at 3:00pm.

But I was just wondering about the flea situation. The receptionist on the phone today told me that if he does have fleas, they can give us enough flea medication for the entire household. I know two of my rats have already had the Advantage flea medication. I'm pretty sure it was advantage.

I have asked my vet that exact question. The fleas that live on cats and dogs are not species specific. But fleas generally will not live on rats if there are bigger animals in the home. They go for the larger food source. If you can treat your cats and the home, then the fleas might jump on the rats and rabbits... might want to inquire with your vet. Revolution would take care of everybody.

Revolution! Thats the stuff that I'm pretty sure my two ratties got when I first got them.

Thanks for the reply Jo. I really want to go into the appointment tomorrow knowing as much as I can considering this vet we go to really only for the cats. So if I can be armed with as much information as I can with what amount of Revolution I would need for the rats (if anyone knows that).

If you can get Revolution for the kitties, ask for an extra vial of the kitten one for the rats. We can give you a dosage if we know the weights.

The good thing about Revolution is it also protects against mites.
I'm just gonna recommend if you can get your house treated as well, do it. Fleas are very aggressive little buggers and will keep coming back if you have carpet and stuff.

Latest posts

Back