First time rat owner: omg the smell!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crumbilina said:
I suggest a HEPA filter. You have to make sure it is a true HEPA filter though, not just an air purifier.

It has made a huge difference for me.

I've considered that, but thankfully the room I have them in is big enough where they don't stink up that room (just the small one I had them in the first day). Now it's only stinky if I stick my face in front of them, but the amount and smell is still the same as before. I'll give them a week and see how they do with the new diet. I also am trying the "vanilla in water" trick and so far it seems to be helping along with the ventilation, etc.

I also put down some actual bedding (well, newspaper) today after I wiped down their cage a bit with Nature's Miracle as well as wiping them down with some pet wipes. I'm really hoping to train them to use the box so I don't have constantly clean the entire cage -- as much as I'd love to do so :giggle:

Yesterday's news is technically litter but you could spread it all over your cage. Although it would be a good idea to also have softer places for your rats to lay on.

I've never had mites issues with YN. Everything else however (like hardwood bedding) can lead to mites infestations.

Baby blankets can make fairly inexpensive bedding and since you wash them (I recommend a bit of bleach and hot water), it gacks anything that can be alive in there. I was also told that baby blankets are made especially so they won't unravel with long threads and that the dyes used to make them are safe (babies probably stick those in their mouths for a very long time), which is reassuring if you have crazy chewers.

Back