First Introduction

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

Introducing mouse to the big boys

I know I know it's supposed to be on neutral ground, but I trust my boys, they love babies and when we had the 14, the 8 baby boys went in with them and they were so gentle with them.

Plus he's only in for a little bit at a time, supervised until they get used to him.

The only one I gotta watch is batty, he's very dominant and completely freaks when we try the neck pinching thing. He just gets too excited around the baby so you have to be on top of him about that, but he's still good.

Sorry the video is crap quality, it's from my phone and actually looks really good on the phone. I have a camcorder but it records on little tapes and idk how to get that on my computer D:

[youtube:1q8sviav]vVUJWYWhpZ4[/youtube:1q8sviav]

You are very lucky there's no mishap when adding the little one to the big boys cage. Especially since you mention that Batty being very dominant.
Hopefully all goes well and he will integrate perfectly. He sure is a cutie and a curious little guy in the cage.

:? Thats a scary thing to do. Something i would personally do myself. Even if my boys were used to babies - doesn't mean they are used to every baby. Did you even clean the cage out to make it neutral? The smells of the other rats must be overwhelming to the baby.

you're very lucky like Jo said

Yes I made sure the cage was clean and everything was washed. Before I let him in the cage, I introduce him slowly, at first letting them sniff through the bars, and then holding the baby by the open door so they can smell him. I do this for a few days so the boys get used to seeing him and smelling him (not to mention his alone cage is positioned next to the big boys) Once I feel my boys are used to him enough, i let him wander just a little in the cage (he was removed right after this video). I never let him stay overnight, as the boys were more active at night and I didn't want any accidents. Each day I let him play in there a little longer until Vuala! he's snuggling in the hammocks with my big boys.

Last night was his first "night" in the cage and he did wonderfully. The reason I trust my boys so much is that they have never once showed aggression towards another rat before. Even batty has never attacked anyone, he just gets a little overwhelming with hounding another rat sniffing. Ben, as you can see in the video, has no problem with the little baby climbing and jumping on him (he does it often). I totally understand where your coming from though because these 3 boys are probably the only ones i'd trust with babies like this because I know them so well.

Regardless of how much I trust them though, I always exercise caution and watch them while they play with the young ones.

That's great Shade! Everyone knows their rats and have a different method and if that works then keep doing it.
Yay for good intros!! :joy:

Back