Finding out ages?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tou_

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this topic, so if not then pardon me.

Basically I'm curious if there is any way to findout a rough estimate of a rats age? I've had my two babies since christmas of 2007, and most of my family and close friends insist they have gotten bigger since then (I however, have not noticed this..except they may be a little rounder than they were whenI got them XD :D)

My parents both think they werent fully grown yet when I first got them, but as I said I dont really notice the difference. I do have picture of them from when I first got them, but the angles they are from make it hard to show any real growth.

So I'm just wondering if perhaps theres some sort of way I could tell?

That's them probably about 3 months after I adopted them. Not a very good picture,but they're cuties =) :heart:

They weren't little babies when you got them, that's for sure. They may have been subadults, somewhere around 6-10 months, when you first got them. Around that time, they lose the "baby" look and just look like slightly smaller adults. It's very possible they have grown a bit, but since you interact with them so much every day, you just don't see it. As far as I know, there's isn't any definite way of determining their age. Unlike dogs or cats, where a vet can check their teeth and things like that, rats are just sort of a guessing game.

What I like to check is their feet. Young feet are softer and pink. Older feet are purplish. And those over 18 months look rough, purple and some have sores. The sores also depends on the weight of the rat. A young rat can have sores if they are overweight or kept in a small cage. Young rats have very shiny clean coats. If you haven't seen them molt at all, then I'd say they are closer to 7 months and up.
When rats reach 7 months, they are "full grown"... but may round out, maybe grow a wee bit longer but not much. If they are fed a high protein/fat diet, they will become overweight so they will generally look like they've grown more. If I were to go by size, my little Nessie would look like she's 6 months old, but in fact she's 16 months old. She's just a tiny girl.
Also, behaviour might help. From 4 to 3 months rats are generally happy and hoppity without a care in the world. At around 3 months to 12 months, they can develop a sense of fear of the unknown or of new things. (not all get like this mind you) but it's common, then at 12 months and up they find that happy hoppity sense again. 18 months, they slow right down, they sleep more and this is the time to look for ailments, bumblefoot, lumps and bumps on the skin or tumours. In males you will see a maturity/machoness from 5 to 12 months. Usually this settles after 12 months. This is from my observation of over 200 rats... not all follow this behaviour pattern, but I'd say most do with those I've had.

If I went by size and activity Piper would be the youngest in the group....She moves around the cage a lot...collecting food, re-arranging toys...and she is so tiny and her fur is the softest of all my rats and she is the mother to my other 9 rats.......
The feet is a great idea...I am going to take a look at my rats feet and see what they look like.

Ruby is the smallest in our group and she's one of the oldest. Jo I totally agree with your comment about behaviour. Ruby and Hazel changed a lot. Willow my youngest isn't afraid of anything, trusts unconditionally and loves loves loves and she's 8 months old.

Back