Fighting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Well, some of my rats have started to fight ...
They have been living together, peacefully, for months.
Treated for mites a couple of weeks ago so not that.

Two sisters (I think) have been waking me up at night with their squabling. Took in these two young moms and baby daughter about 3 weeks ago. (Baby son lives separate from them.)

David and Ralphie, both older neutered boys in a cage of 7 rats (that is good for 10) have gotten into it twice today, standing on hind legs, puffed up and boxing ... After I separated them and was holding them, Ralphie started wimpering. Couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Ideas anyone?

Well what I do know from my girls is that Lily was causing such a stir in the cage a couple of weeks ago bugging BOTH Ruby and Hazel. She wouldn't stop and they would just try and get away and she would bite at them. This occured for about 3 days. Now it's all sorted out. So not sure maybe they are just sorting things out.

I've noticed that too, once in awhile there will be a challenge. Do you have any boys coming into maturity in that cage, that may be challenging the alpha?

No, no boys coming to maturity in that cage. Noah died two weeks ago but he was old and ill and at the bottom of the hierachy. Only boys left in that group (cage) are David and Ralphie both older neutered boys. Jonathan died almost 2 months ago and he was a quiet alpha. Leah seems to be the alpha now and the 5 girls (Leah, Ruthie, Marsha, Charlotte, & Noelle) in the cage are spayed.

In another cage are Leah's yet to be neutered 4 sons (Mark, Joseph, Samuel, & Burrell) born in April. Then there are the recent rescues that arrived about 3 weeks ago, 2 young mom's (Joy & Hope) and their 7.5 week old daughter (Faith) in a cage ... all yet to be spayed, and 7.5 week old Peter by himself as haven't been able to get him introed yet ...

They all use the same couch and play area and I have been putting them in one anothers cages when the residents are not home as trying to get some of the groups introed.
David now has a small bald spot on his back where Ralphie removed some hair.

I bet it's the smell of the newcomers. That can set any cage off kilter.
Give it a month or so and they should get used to the new rattie smell and settle down.

I find that they sometimes just get on each others nerves. They will be best buddies with another rat one day and seem to be fighting to the death the next. They have such intelligence and unique personalities that I just think that there are little tiffs that go on the odd time. Having a number of different colonies, I find that it does happen but they eventually get it out of their systems.
I also agree with Joanne that it will elevate when newcomers come into the house.

Besides what Jo and Vanessa have said there's also the possibility of the new alpha. Some rats are just not as good at it, and tension can stay high until things are sorted out. Selene was an awesome peaceful but strong alpha, and then she got her skin condition. Soma took over and was terrible, she would regularly attack her own cagemates if they bumped into her when she was "protecting" the cage from outsiders...her colony was very wary of her. I was very happy when Selene got better. :roll: Give it time.

Back