Fight wounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Well intro's royally suck. Things were going fine on the couch for quite a few days now so I thought lets try in the play room and take out all the toys they can hide in. If I didn't grab Mya in time I'm quite sure she would have killed Sun, one of the babies. Sun has three wounds on her belly and was bleeding all over the place. I stopped the bleeding and got her cleaned up but I'm worried about the cuts. They're not deep enough for a vet but deep enough for me to worry. I gave her some baytril but I'm wondering if I should put any polysporin on the wounds?

There really isn't a need to, and you could even be encouraging an abscess by using the polysporin. It causes the skin to heal from the outside in, instead of from the inside out. In all likelihood the cuts will be mostly healed by tomorrow, just keep up the Baytril if you're still concerned about it.

I completely agree with javakittie. In fact we had it happen to us when using the polysporin, we closed the wound too fast, healed the outside, while the inside got hugely infected with all kinds of abscesses.

Looks like you have to go slower with intros. How old are the young ones?

The babies are about 3 months I would say. They're they same size as Mini was when we did intros so we thought we could try again. Things were fine on the couch for the week that we did intros, there was some mild puffing up and pushing but nothing that bad.
Maybe I should wait till they get a little bigger? It's only Mya, Emily and Janeway that are being the jerks lol The rest of them are fine with them. Right now we have them in the bottom part of the FN with Bella, Raina, Alice and Mischa. They really love the company of the older rats.

These are the babies They're Hoodie twin girls.
Sun
sun1.jpg

Charlotte
charlotte1.jpg

3mo is plenty old enough for intros. Just going to have to take the play area intros a little more slowly is all.

Back