Few Questions About The New Girls.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeHale

First, I think I misnamed Shasta. Her name should be Shifty! She doesn't trust me at all yet, but it's in a humorous way and I'd be lying if I said she didn't crack me up.
I tried to give her a few Cheerios, and she absolutely would not take it from my hand.
So I dropped them in different places around the cage.
After she thought I wasn't looking, she grabbed the closest one to her and started eating.
She sniffed out another one, and in the middle of that one, I said "Ahem!" and she shoved the cheerio under her and gave me a look like, "What? I wasn't doing anything. What are you talking about crazy lady. Go away."
That is what cracked me up.
So then I looked away and let her eat in peace.
How can I get her to trust me? I JUST WANT HER TO LOOVE MEEEE!

Second, Starr.
She's young. I don't know how young. But she is TINY.
And her energy levels are like, bipolar.
One second she's popcorning and wanting me to take her out and let her run on my bed, and I do (carefully supervised!) let her.
But then after about a minute she's practically asleep in my hand.
Is this normal for young'uns?

All I know with regards to getting Shasta to trust you is either giving her treats (like you're doing) and she'll come around, and then there's the "rat down the shirt trick" where you put on a close-fitting shirt and then a loose one & tuck them both in to your pants, stick Shasta in between & let her get used to your scent for a little while.
What I did with my girls is just kept taking them out with me whether they liked it or not, put them on my shoulder while I did dishes/watched tv, fed them treats once in a while, & let them run around their play area with me in the center until they started trusting me more & more! :)

The bi-polar behaviour from the baby is Completely normal! haha
I got Charlie when she was maybe 7 weeks old & she slept on me a lot when I first got her, more than she played.
I also have 13 4-week-old ratties & let me tell you, one second they're all hyper... popcorning around, the next they're ALL trying to sleep on my hand! :giggle:

Congratulations & good luck with your new girlies!! :thumbup:

Very normal for baby behaviour... and as for Shasta, have you done the "down the shirt" trick, that would be good for the tiny one too.

Thanks for the replies! And a silly story.
Shasta is the fun police!
I took Starr out and played with her for a teeny bit, till she fell asleep in my shirt pocket. I put her back in the cage, and Shasta gave me a look like, "Um, excuse me, just what the heck do you think you're doing with my baby? We're gonna have to make a custody agreement."

She cracks me up.

ZoeHale said:
I took Starr out and played with her for a teeny bit, till she fell asleep in my shirt pocket. I put her back in the cage, and Shasta gave me a look like, "Um, excuse me, just what the heck do you think you're doing with my baby? We're gonna have to make a custody agreement."

She cracks me up.

:lol:
I don't think I've seen your girls, but I can totally picture that look. Pretty sure Dakota has given it to me more than a few times... & I've been taking all 13 of hers out... :lol2:

NewRatMama said:
ZoeHale said:

She cracks me up.

:lol:
I don't think I've seen your girls, but I can totally picture that look. Pretty sure Dakota has given it to me more than a few times... & I've been taking all 13 of hers out... :lol2:

Here's their thread!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25915

Back