Few questions about male rats :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixxie

We have all females here so we don't know much about males so I though the rat shack was the best place to start asking questions.
First is it true males are more snuggly than females?
How young can they be fixed?
If we were to get a male would it be a better idea to get two so they can be cagemates before they are fixed and recovering from it?
How soon would you introduce a fixed male to a all female crew?
Should we house them at a friends place until fixed?

My husband and I ran into a male rat living all by himself in a mom and pop pet store. We really wanted to get him out of there but just couldn't put our girls at risk. Since we knew nothing about getting males fix, we had to leave him behind :(
It was so heart breaking cause he really snuggled in with Patrick and even started boggling alittle.
So now we would like to learn what maybe involed in getting him fixed and in with the girls without any worrys of babys.

Any chance you might have a nice temporary cage for the male, until you get him fixed? If so, you could go back and get him. :wink2: Just don't even let him visit with the girls until he's fixed though. It only takes a split second for him to "do his business". :? I wouldn't house him somewhere else because he's a male, but would for QT purposes.

As a general rule, males tend to be more laid back...but I've had lots of snuggly girls, and spazzy boys.

Our vet does not neuter males before 4 months of age. Some are a bit different on that rule though. Do you have an experienced exotic vet that does lots of surgery on rats? I would not have a rat neutered at a cat/dog vet...they are just not experienced with a rat's special needs for surgery.

After a neuter, a male is not "safe" for 3 weeks. Some say 2 weeks, but our vet says 3 to be safe. Otherwise, they are still carrying a "loaded gun", so to speak.

I have had several neutered males that lived happily in a harem of ladies. You do need to go through proper intros (I'm sure there are many threads on the board to help with that). But I would begin intro's after that 3 week post neuter period. I've never had a problem with neutered males getting along with girls.

On a side note, if you have a good exotic vet, you might consider the benefits of spaying the females too. :wink2:

For me... my males are definitely not more snuggly than my girls. It's really part each rat's unique personality. I've had snuggly girls and not so snuggly girls, same with boys.
A neuter keeps a male young at heart. Be sure to have a good exotic vet for the procedure. My vet will neuter my boys as young as 6 weeks old.
I would say it is better to get two males but a rescue or lone male warrants the wee bit of time of being alone.
Keeping new rats at a friend's place is always ideal as it makes for an excellent quarantine. Also, it won't stress out your females either.

I've only ever had boys, and i've only been keeping rats for 3 years now. I agree that all rats are different. As youngsters my first rat, and now my Patrick, were my "little girlys" because they were/are crazy! My current eldest boy was completely different. As a youngster he was very jumpy and nervous and a bit of a recluse. He'd spend all day trying to hide from the world under cushions. Now, my first boy and Sid as they got older became more cuddly. Sid is still nervous and hides, but luurrves a scratch. My first rat turned into a squishy cuddler aswell. God knows what Patrick is gunna be like. Hes a free-roamer at heart (even though i wont let him :( ), an adventurer and turning out to be an amazing escape artist -.-

I would LOVE to get a girly some time though :) Someone said to me "You don't want a girl, you will be dissapointed" O.O because i've always had boys O.O

Back