Fattening up a sick rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuuli

So recently my Dumbo Rat, Gizmo was diagnosed with a chronic inner ear infection. It was so bad he was dragging his head on the floor and wouldn't move (we thought he had a PT for a while). We're on the third week of his 6 week medication and he's no longer tilting his head. Now, he's around one years old and has always had a respiratory infection since the day I picked him up as a baby. He usually sneezed and gets all the gunk out of his nose. He's stopped sneezing now though and it's coming out of his eyes like crazy (First question, should I be worried about this?)
He was just getting back to his almost normal self when he had an allergic reaction to some baby banana yogurt. His tongue was so swollen he was refusing to eat. Since I'm just 17 (literally today) I can't drive yet and my vet is about a 45 minute car ride. I have an appointment on Friday though. Anyways, the reaction was on Monday and he looked like he was going to die. He looked absolutely HORRIBLE! we couldn't get a hold of my vet on the phone so my mom (she's a doctor) gave him a minuscule amount of antihistamines when I wasn't paying attention. Today is Wednesday and his tongue is finally down and he is wanting to eat again. Due to the ear infection, it was painful for him to eat hard foods, when he got really bad we started syringing baby food into him. He's lost so much weight with the illness you can feel all the bones. I'm trying to feed him like crazy but he'll only take a certain amount and I believe he still finds it painful to bite on hard food so for now I'm gunna keep up the baby food. I'm feeding him; Organic mixed fruit, Organic Sweetpotato and potato and a Speghetti, beef and vegetable. As well as Ensure.

Can anyone give me some advice on foods to fatten him up? I know seeds and such, but like I said, he won't chew them atm.
Thanks so much ,x,x

I tried baby food too, but was informed it has probiotics in it and cannot be given with antibiotics unless you give it 2 or more hours before or after the medications. I too have a sick boy right now that is losing weight - I'm feeding him avocados (high fat contents so they cannot get it on a regular basis), cooked pasta, hard boiled eggs, baby food, and lots of veggies/fruit that contain water so he stays hydrated red leaf lettuce, watermelon, cucumbers, apples, etc. Hope that helps some - you can also mash up bananas

dspch911 said:
I tried baby food too, but was informed it has probiotics in it and cannot be given with antibiotics unless you give it 2 or more hours before or after the medications. I too have a sick boy right now that is losing weight - I'm feeding him avocados (high fat contents so they cannot get it on a regular basis), cooked pasta, hard boiled eggs, baby food, and lots of veggies/fruit that contain water so he stays hydrated red leaf lettuce, watermelon, cucumbers, apples, etc. Hope that helps some - you can also mash up bananas

Sounds like we're doing the same thing. He has certain times of the day when he decides he'll eat (usually around 11am-3pm) and from there on he just isn't interested so I have to syringe it into his mouth for him to eat. Luckily we're seeing the vet on friday, hopefully she can come up with something. Have you tried diluted Nutella? I don't give it to him often, maybe a teaspoon a week. They love it though.

He really needs his rat blocks. You can soak his blocks into much, and then add some olive oil to it, that will give him the good fat that he needs. You can also put a bit of soymilk in the blocks for nutrition or mix in some baby food with the blocks. Poor little guy, sounds like he's been through a lot.
We've given our rats benedryl in the past as recommended by my vet so your mom probably saved him.

you can do eggs and nuts to help with weight to but in moderation. The mush is always a hit. I mix my lab blocks with ensure which they love. keep ensure in their cage as well.

jorats said:
He really needs his rat blocks. You can soak his blocks into much, and then add some olive oil to it, that will give him the good fat that he needs. You can also put a bit of soymilk in the blocks for nutrition or mix in some baby food with the blocks. Poor little guy, sounds like he's been through a lot.
We've given our rats benedryl in the past as recommended by my vet so your mom probably saved him.

I'm trying with the blocks but he shows absolutely no interest. Even if I get it in his mouth, he just lets it fall out. Today, I was desperate and got a teaspoon of wet cat food. I know it's not for rats and I know it's high in protein, but he won't eat anything. Anyways, he ate that. Actually, attacked and devoured it We've also cooked some vegetables to the point where they're soft and mushy. He's nibbling slowly, but just wants to sleep.

On the plus side, this is the first time in almost two weeks he's actually wanted to move. Since he hasn't walked more than 4 steps in so long and he's so skinny, he's a bit wobbly but he is getting curious again.
Also happy to say that the head tilt is completely gone, and his eyes are no longer bulging at all.

Sebastian has gained 30g since his last vet visit two weeks ago and since we started the high calorie/mushy food. So keep it up there is hope .... :thumbup: Healing vibes to your rattie :heart: :cuddle:

Back