fabio, the agressive rat, some questions about neuters

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the vet
it will be
40$ for the pre exam
And 125$ for the castration.

165 + tax

is this normal?

they also said they gave a shot of pain meds that lasts for 24h

when i get this done, do i have to bring a cage for him to stay in?

I just bring mine in their carrier with food, a little box with fleece and they give them water at the clinic. It costs me 173.30 + tax.

That is a pretty fair price for Southern Ontario, but being in London I thought it might be a bit less. It is important that they know what they are doing, as neutering a rat is different to dogs and cats.
I have had almost two dozen boys neutered, and only had two boys that it didn't make totally different rats - Reggie and Abu-boo. Eventually, when both were older ratty men, they did live with other rats but it wasn't until they were much older.
For all the other boys, the difference was day and night, and some of them were biting me as well as other rats.
Some of my boys were much older when the procedure was done, and they came out of it with flying colours and took the same amount of time to recover as the younger boys.
Any surgery carries risks, but I would always suggest neutering an aggressive boy.

Back