Eye problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee_Dee

I got 2 hairless boys over a year ago now and since day one they had eye issues. I brought them both into the vet and we tried drop and eye ointments nothing worked the eyes weren't bothering them and the vet was out of options. Now that I moved and the vet I go to now is a lot more experienced I went to make an appointment for them. Before I could bring them in I lost one :( anyway the vet looked at his eyes and she has never seen anything like it before. She tried baytril and it didn't work. Now she gave him an injection of something I can't think of the name of it right off the top of my head. He got the first shot then 2 weeks later got the second shot. It still didn't work. I am hoping someone out there has seen this in other hairless rats and can be of some help. It is a mystery. i don't know if its easy to tell or not but in the pictures his eyes are completely shriveled up and dried out.

106_0602.jpg

106_0603-1.jpg

It sounds like the eyeballs were punctured and they shrank and died. I have had that happen with 2 nakies now. OR he may have had micro-eye from birth (eyeballs too small)...got pics of both of these.

Eli, his small eye after trauma and the eye shrinking and dying

dec24Eli2.jpg

Micro eye looks pretty similar...but the rat was born that way and most likely is blind.

Can you take a clearer pic of his eye?

Sorry for such a delay in the reply my internet is horrible here.

Here is new pictures I hope these are clearer

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

Is there anything that can be done any medication my little guy should be on?

Back