Eye Issues with Suri, UPDATED!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwilightRatz

So Suri went to the vet today I have had her a litte over a month and They lady that gave her to me not only pregnant but with HORRIBLE eyes, they had bedding stuck in them anyway I had ointment and that didn't work I went back today a She has 1 swollen shut eye that the Cornea is messed up or something (Left my Paper with Tech. Terms on it at work) the other eye the Cornea is scratched, so She doesn't see anything really the vet tells me she has a recheck in 2 days but the vet asked if she need a eye removed and the one doesn't look promising if I would do that.

If it needs to be done...I would do it if it was just me and add it to my bill ( I work there so its no hurry to pay it...but I have a larger bill there from Hunters surgery just 2 weeks ago. Its to many surgeries at one time) Mike was not happy when I mentioned the cost of the SX.

I love my Rats and they get great Care, and stuff I can pay for Neuters and stuff becuase I can save for that its not a emergency thing I am tring to save for Domino Neuter as He wants to eat me and its not fun tring to work around him and everything....but that surgery to remove a eye is expensive and Mike won't let me pay for it. I spend alot on everything else, meds, food etc...but I never thought I would have to have that surgery done.

Any Suggestions or anything??? I mean it will depend on if the meds work or not but she couldn't guarentee she wouldn't need to have it removed. PRAY that the meds work other words I don't know what to do.

She'll need some meds to ward off infection... I don't know about how dire it is to have her eye removed, is it a life and death situation?
We do what we can and that's all that can be asked of us... I sure hope it works out somehow. it's a tough choice for you. :hugs:

jorats said:
She'll need some meds to ward off infection... I don't know about how dire it is to have her eye removed, is it a life and death situation?
We do what we can and that's all that can be asked of us... I sure hope it works out somehow. it's a tough choice for you. :hugs:

I have Clavamox and/Or Baytril in my stock, I have those for Infections. I don't think its life or Death I think it will just continue to irritate her if it needs to be removed, I am hoping the drops will work , She gets them 4-6 times a day 1 Drop each eye and she is a trooper for it, i will dtart the Apple flavored batril too for infection.

So here's the Update, Suri has been on Drops and Baytril for 2 weeks now for her Eyes. Her Right Eye is Much Impoved, Wide open, and Not cloudy. The Left eye is sunken in, and closed all the time except when I apply Drops, The Vet has LITTLE hope for that Eye, My vet hospital has never done a eye removal on a rat, and Suri is Very small still, smaller then Bella and Suri is older...and they don't have the Tools to do it on a animal that small. She said sometimes it will just heal up but then she worries about Infection, (Baytril).

See goes back tomorrow for the Verdict. I 1 can't afford that surgery, plus Mike likes my rats, but He thinks if it heals up then why do the surgery, becuase he says its 2 much money for a Rat Surgery He said Neuter Prices were pushing it and if I wanted that done then i need to save for that myself. Plus I have to travel to somewhere to get it done.

I hope she says it will heal up fine, and cause no Pain or anything to suri and I can let it heal closed. If IT must be Removed, I don't know what to do.

Back