Eye Infections?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

So I have been extra snuggly with the rats tonight since loosing Molly and I noticed that Kramer's eye is looking cruddy and it is starting to smell a bit funny. I think it is infected. I am going to take him in to the vet on Monday as he does not seem bothered by it. He isn't digging at it or rubbing it but I know it can't be comfy. So what is the normal treatment for eye infections? I don't have anything I can put in the eye but I do have Baytril on hand. Should I start him on some now until Monday?

Staci

We've had a few with eye infections. Mainly due to a scratch. One little girl actually had an abscess form in the corner of her eye. It was horrible! Thankfully, Cefa did the trick and FAST. Baytril would also help (though I swear Cefa rocks), especially if you don't have a chance to get her to the vet until Monday.

We also always keep an opthamalic ointment for eyes on hand, and use that too. But if you don't have that, I'm not sure what else might help. I'm not sure if it would help, but you might try a few drops of straight sterile saline to see if it helps flush out any thing icky. Saline is pretty cheap at the nearest Target or grocery store.

Does he have porphyrin? I noticed that porphyrin has an odor to it.
My first course of action is polysporin eye/ear drop. If that doesn't clear it in a week, then I get the good stuff from the vet.
I've tried everything on Cande, even Baytril and still to this day, she has leaky eyes.

Yes there is Porphryn. But the eye is also a bit cloudy looking as well. It is hard to explain. I just know it doesn't look right. And since he is a hairless I know they have more problems with their eyes.

I will try a Saline rinse today just to see if I can provide any relief in themporary. I don't have any thing else on hand as the polysporin eye and ear drops here are considered RX and knock on wood I have never had an eye infection before! Yaaaayyy.

Staci

When Nemo had a scratch on his eye, that turned into an infection, it was cloudy as well. It didn't help that he was also an odd eye, so the eye looked that much more weird. But here's a picture of it.

Opthamalic eye ointment and Cefa got him back in shape in no time.

Nemo3.jpg

Nemo4.jpg

Ok so we got some Terramyacin yesterday from our vet visit. She thinks it is like what you all said he got a small scratch or irritant and it just got infected from there. She said the other eye looks like it might be starting to get infected too so she wants me to put the gunk in both of his eyes 2 times a day. She made it look so easy at the vets office....Last night I tried to do it and it was a mess. I risk wasting half of the teeny tiny tube at this rate. So any tips to get this stuff in the eyes and not all over the face?

Staci

Back