Eye explosion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzydazzel

Hello,
I’ve had my rats now for over a year and have recently adopted my sisters rat (as her other one died).
To build content, our rat, bibble, has naturally red eyes and one morning we’d found her right eye to be completely bloodshot (looked like it was made of blood sorta look). We sent her straight to the vets and they proscribed some eye drops and the basic baytril and metcam. Every thing seemed to be going fine and her eye had scabbed over nice and flat. Today she had picked the scab off and her eye, although bloodshot, looked the right size and reasonably healthy. Just now, going to bed, as I was stroking her her eye exploded...literally exploded. Blood everywhere, looks as though her eye is completely dangling out now.
I’ve taken her away from the others because I don’t won’t those to further damage her eye... it seems to have clotted over and no longer bleeding but what can/should I do now???

my question that I need help answering is what do I do now???

Her eye has ruptured unfortunately. Now that it's stopped bleeding she's going to need pain relief like Metacam or ibuprofen until you can get her to a vet. She will need antibiotics to prevent infection. Usually with a ruptured eye the eyeball is punctured and the fluid drains out and the eyeball shrinks. Your girl had pressure inside her eye that made it rupture forcefully.

Ok, thank-you. I will make sure she keeps taking the antibiotics they had given us :)

**update**

Bibble's eye is now completely scabbed over again and looks swollen. I will be giving her metcam baytril for the swelling around the scab. She's eating fine and seems very much her quirky self :)
I will be definitely keeping an eye on her for now though as she is quite a naturally smaller rat and the amount of blood she lost last night had me very concerned.

Try feeding her foods with vitamin k (for clotting) and iron (prevents anemia). Green leafy veggies have both (like spinach, kale, broccoli, romaine)...eye muscles are attached to jaw muscles so you might want to pop some in a blender along with some other veggies to make an easier thing for her to eat.

Back