...Evaporating Baytril?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

So Sweeney has been on Baytril since Friday for his ear infection, and seems to be doing pretty well. His head tilt hasn't gone away, but he can climb around in his cage now and he's much more active and enthusiastic.

The thing is, the vet gave me a vial of baytril and said it would last 7-10 days and to give it until it was gone. We ran out last night (thursday, which would make it 6 days). The rubber stopper has some crystals around the edge and I'm wondering if some of the baytril evaporated or something -- it has been SO hot in the house lately (they've been working on our roof so the A/C has been off for a couple of days, ugh) and I'm keeping it in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom (they said not to store it in the fridge)....hm.

Anyway....is six days good enough? Or should I call the vet and see if they'll give me more without charging me? I'm $185 overdrawn at the bank just now due to some computational problems (and the bank being bloodthirsty jerks) so I can't afford to go back until next week on payday.

Even 7-10 days is not enough for a course of baytril..especially for inner ear infection. A very minimum of 14 days but more is recommended as ear infections are difficult to treat.

I would call, and tell them you didn't get enough.

Thanks Shelagh :) Can I move up to Toronto so I can bask in the glory of Dr. Munn? Meh.

On the bright side, we went in today and got at least another week's worth of baytril; it looks like I got more than I did last time, actually, and no additional cost, so yay!

fenshae said:
Thanks Shelagh :) Can I move up to Toronto so I can bask in the glory of Dr. Munn? Meh.

On the bright side, we went in today and got at least another week's worth of baytril; it looks like I got more than I did last time, actually, and no additional cost, so yay!

YAY! :thumbup:

It's possible... also, all medicines should not be kept in a bathroom where showers and baths are taken. The heat of the steam can cause the meds to lose it's potency. Find a dark dry area for it.
And I agree with Shelagh, a much longer treatment term is needed.

Back