Erin ? - Sept 30, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

It's taken me days to post. First the shock, then the grief, then a period of depression. Savanna a month before Erin, Wanda (gratefully but you grieve all the same) just a week before Erin.
Erin passed completely unexpectedly. I have no idea why. She was fine the night before. I'd actually been thinking how healthy she was and how close we'd become.

She came to me Jan 13/07 as an adult from SARS BC rescue. Here is her beginning http://www.smallanimalrescue.org/erin.html
Aug 7/06 she went to a fosterhome where she had a buddy Sparrow. Sparrow died Nov 18/06 and she was alone again (but with a great fosterdad) til she came to me.
My tiny delicate Sahara totally adored her, and Erin was the most gentle loving sister til Sahara died Feb 25/07 and Erin was alone again. Apr 17 Wanda came, Erin was quite pushy with her at first but 5 days later they were happy together. I intro'd Savanna & Kelley to them Aug 11 and they all lived together til Savanna passed Aug 31, and when Wanda became ill Erin made a point going to her to keep her company and sleep with her so she was rarely alone til she passed Sept 23.

My poor little love went thru so much, and comforted and lost so many sisters. She kept coming to me all thru the night I lost my best girl Savanna, and stayed close to me ever afterwards, so often coming just to give me some love. She had a real depth of compassion, and I had come to so love and rely on her. I was looking forward to her looking after the old girl and 4 young ones I have coming today... Perhaps she felt she'd done enough looking after others in this life.

I love you Erin. Thankyou for looking after me, but I needed you longer honey.

My Erin:
070708Erin2a.jpg

Erin & Sahara:
070213SaharaErin7.jpg

070216SaharaErin1.jpg

070216SaharaErin2.jpg

Erin & Wanda:
070721ErinWanda01.jpg

Erin & Kelley looking after Wanda:
070916ErinKelleyWanda2.jpg

She & Kelley were asleep when I got up, I went in the bedroom about 2:30 pm and found her breathing somewhat heavy. I gave her some baytril which she took readily in Cool Whip. I lay with her and watched TV. She was not noisy, her breathing continued being even but heavy, she didn't seem to be in distress tho she was not active, just resting or sleeping. A couple times she went back to her house, but I'd bring her back to me shortly to keep an eye on her as she was resting after each effort, which I assumed was due to a respiratory problem. Hours later I picked her up and she felt rather light and limpish, and just 'not all there'. She was obviously worsening so I tried to give her some prednisone in ensure as I didn't know if it was a respiratory thing or a heart or a pt or stroke or what, she wouldn't take it, so I squirted it in but not much went down. She became really flaccid and began making what sounded like a hiccup periodically, so I tried some infant dimetapp in case she had some phlegm in her chest, and a squirt of my inhaler, when that didn't help at all I took her in the bathroom to steam her, after about 10 minutes she seemed to be rousing but instead took a few deep breaths and was gone at 7:15

I checked her over and noticed nothing but a very small bump by her groin. I lay with her a long time, then went to notify her fosterdad. When I went back and picked her up an hour and a half after she'd passed I found she'd bled from nose, especially the side she was lying on, enough to make a dime-sized stain where she was lying. Her nose was fine when I was checking her over.
Would this give any indication of why she died?

Oh Lauren, what a shock. I'm so very sorry.
That sweet girl was Sahara's white fur coat. I remember how those two got on great, you were so relieved that Sahara had company.

Her sudden death could be a number of things, sudden pt growth, heart attack, stroke or even a brain hemorrhage which could explain the nose bleed.

<<<Sending>>>

Thankyou all for recognizing that Erin lived. And was precious. She really was. I know that's understood here.
Thanks Jo for coming up with what suggestions you can. You understand that needing to know what caused it is maybe trying to take the first step to healing.
I'm having a harder time about Erin than my heartgirl Savanna even. Maybe cause Savanna'd been slowing down and Erin wasn't. Maybe cause Erin was 3 in a month, maybe cause Erin got me thru the first 2 losses. Maybe cause she wasn't 'mine' at first. That evolved gradually the whole time she was here. She allowed us to get closer and closer.. the initiative was always hers. She always lowered the boundaries when I needed her most. And at the end she really had dispensed with them.

Now my remaining Kelley & I have 5 new girls. Our world is no longer empty. I love them all, but nobody's looking after me like Erin did. You don't expect someone like Erin.
:kisses: my mother-child.

Fidget said:
Thankyou all for recognizing that Erin lived. And was precious. She really was. I know that's understood here.
Thanks Jo for coming up with what suggestions you can. You understand that needing to know what caused it is maybe trying to take the first step to healing.
I'm having a harder time about Erin than my heartgirl Savanna even. Maybe cause Savanna'd been slowing down and Erin wasn't. Maybe cause Erin was 3 in a month, maybe cause Erin got me thru the first 2 losses. Maybe cause she wasn't 'mine' at first. That evolved gradually the whole time she was here. She allowed us to get closer and closer.. the initiative was always hers. She always lowered the boundaries when I needed her most. And at the end she really had dispensed with them.

Now my remaining Kelley & I have 5 new girls. Our world is no longer empty. I love them all, but nobody's looking after me like Erin did. You don't expect someone like Erin.
:kisses: my mother-child.

I'm so sorry Lauren, :tearful:

It is terrible to lose them when you are not expecting it. Was Erin still "a baby" when you got her? I've noticed that her Birthdate is not known so I am wondering if she may not have been older than anyone thought.

Did she have incisor issues? Jerry bled from the nose as a result of being stabbed by his lower incisor.

You provided Erin with the best care that any rat could ever want. She loved you Sweetie and she knows, without a doubt, that you adore her.

They may leave us, physically, but they are never gone. Your girls are with you as much as they ever were. Have faith that you are surrounded by their little souls. Don't have too much faith in your eyesight... humans see only a small fraction of what is actually there. :love6:

Play hard little Erin. You are precious and will always have a significant place in your mom's heart. :rose:

Erin was found injured with her sister in a box in a park in Vancouver in june or july of 2006. Nobody knows how old she was then.
She didn't have any teeth problems. She had no problems that were visible.

(my eyes are crap but for anyone in the same boat I find that if I take digital pics of my kids then I can put them on the computer and zoom in and see things I might not notice otherwise).

And I believe as you do jennibervb, my loved ones are with me. It's not a door to other world, just a 2-way window, they can see us and we can see ourselves if we look for them.

Back