Enrofloxacin AND Metacam...why the Metacam?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKbusy

Hello! So Monkey (6-7 months old) was neutered on September 4th by the same vet that did my other two boys.
After only one day, he was back to being active and seemed perfectly normal, although, I noticed that his "sacks" were still there and QUITE big/saggy. They were extremely loose to the touch and seemed "empty".

However, I started noticing late yesterday, that his ball sacks seem to be firming up again. At least, when I give them a light squeeze, they seem firm although Monkey doesn't seem to be feeling any pain.

Some people in chat suggested that it might be infection/swelling?! But then they also suggested posting here... so...

Pics of his "sacks" (sorry, they keep turning out blurry):
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/Shangyu/IMG_0254.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/Shangyu/IMG_0253.jpg
One more pic! http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/Shangyu/IMG_0253_2.jpg

Should I be worried?! The earliest I can get a vet appointment is Wednesday... maybe Tuesday... >.<
HELP! >.< What do I DO!?

Moon mentioned in chat that is DOES look kinda swollen... but that I shouldn't worry yet? Sorry Moon, I'm definitely not questioning your advice... I just hate not doing ANYTHING >.<

the second pic looks ok but im not too sure. with our Monkey within time he had like no sacks at all :giggle: he looked like a girl unless you knew about his neuter :)

i do hope he is ok :hugs:

but if your very worried about it i would take him to the vet where you got him done; it should not charge anything; well with my vet they said that to me if anything were to go wrong that is.

Its starting to shrivel you say? That's good, depending on what the vet did, some start in a few days others take a week or more. Neuter abscesses will develop rather slowly so you can watch it for any problems. Sometimes it will seem to swell up a little but then it will resolve. At this point just keep an eye on it. Or you can try to bring any infection to the surface by doing warm water sitz bath's in a sink. A few inches of warm water and his surgical site should be immersed. Remember that the water should be warm, but not hot, even though ratties have a higher natural temperature than we do. Do this twice a day and see if anything changes.

We've had multiple neuters here and they've all reacted differently as in how it shriveled up and disappeared. So far, I'd say he looks normal to me. It can sometimes take some time for it to completely go away.
My advice keep an eye on it, if it starts to look off then bring him in for a post-op re-check.

Many vets will do a free post op check up.
You might see if your vet does that and if so, you could take him in just to make sure everything is fine.
Otherwise, keep a close eye on how he is doing.

Thank you! ^_^ I will keep an eye on him...
His sacks aren't exactly "shriveling" up at this point, but they DO seem to be getting drawn UP or something... They used to dangle and almost drag as he trotted along, now they clear the ground by a LOT!

I'll see if I can get him to do the warm soaks!

Thanks again!

One of my boys is kinda like that too. I am thinking the neuter was complete there is just a lot of fatty tissue down there..I mean my boy has lived with girls for quite some time with no mistakes, I will see if he will let me get a pic tonight...

Thursday, I came home, and my roommate had burned something (she claims to have just been "caramelizing onions" but there was TONS of smoke which definitely didn't seem right). Monkey was inactive the entire night, refusing to eat or drink and there was what seemed to be a thin layer of blood around his nose and mouth every time he groomed himself. He kept on rubbing the bottom of his mouth against the fleece in his cage like rats do when they want to get something yucky out of their mouth.

I took Monkey to the vet last night (Friday night) and the vet immediately checked out his balls... telling me they felt a little swollen on one side, but that it was nothing to worry about, etc. etc. etc. I was like, uh, no sorry, could you check his breathing/blood around mouth please? There was no blood at the time, but he did listen to his lungs and did some other funny squeezing stuff and weighed him...

Vet was nice though >.< Even though I had come because of the blood/breathing and it wasn't technically a post-op checkup, he still didn't charge me for the exam ^_^. Just the meds!

He prescribed 0.25ml of "Enrofloxacin 10mg/mL" twice daily for 2 weeks and 0.06mL Metacam daily.
The Entroflaxacin I understand is just another name for Baytril? An anti-inflammatory drug, but the Metacam? Why would Monkey need a painkiller?

Ahh I see your confusion, enrofloxacin IS baytril (baytril is made my Bayer), but metacam is the pain reliever AND ant-inflammatory, whereas baytril has no anti-inflammatory properties. Even doxycycline has a little but not baytril.

Wait... what?! So... the Metacam is to help fight inflammation and provide pain relief (is that for his breathing or the swelling due to neutering?).. and the Endo (Baytril) is for... fighting infection? In his lungs? Or is it for the infection that could possibly be causing the swelling in his balls?

Of course, I'm giving him both at the recommended dosages, and he's ALREADY showing signs of improvement (i.e. he's EATING AGAIN! WHEEEEEE!!) but I'd just like to understand.

Thanks in advance >.<

Rats generally recieve 10 mg/454.4 grams of baytril for at least 4 to 6 weeks.
Baytril is good for myco and is also used for infections.
His breathing may be the result of a myco flare up. If so the baytril will help but he needs to be on it for about 6 weeks.
The blood around his nose was probably porphrin ... rats get that when they are stressed or ill.

Back