ear mites? eat infection?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

For the past week or so, I've noticed that my cat has been scratching at her ears. I took a look, and all I can see is a small scab where she has been scratching, which is on the outside of her ear. However, I didn't see any fleas, dirt, or anything weird in or around her ears. Any clue at what it could be? Should I just take her to the vet for an exam?

Maybe try some antibiotic ointment first on her owie in case she's just got an (maybe infected) owie bothering her? Wouldn't suspect ear mites if it's a scab on the outside of the ear at all. That would be a lot of scratching at the ears with no sign of injury outside I think since cats are capable of cleaning the inside of their ears.

Do you have a picture? I would likely treat with revolution and clean her ears. Depending on the severity of the sore, and if it looks infected, she may need to see a vet. Cats with mites (or other bugs) can scratch themselves to the point of bleeding to make a sore on the outside of the ear, so mites are definitely a possibility. If you see little orange dots it could be chiggers. Chiggers are the larval form of a type of mite that are really hard to see. After possible parasites are ruled out, the next most likely cause is allergies for which she'll need to see a vet.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems she has stopped itching herself. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid :p lol. But I am still going to take her to the vet this week just so she can get a physical. I'm adopting a kitten and bringing it home Friday, so I just want to make sure that my cat is in perfect health too.

Back