Dry Skin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBlade

Update on Zumi. I called the vet like a week and half ago for a checkup but I only have space for the 6 june which is a pretty long time to wait so I decided to do some more research. I checked rat skin problems and some rats have dandruff when their skin is really dry. Maybe Zumi has that because my grand mother told me the rat room's air was dry. I dont have an humidificator so I put a water bucket in the room, hope it helps.

But I checked the doggy shampoos for a mild one that helps with dry skin and I found one. I wanted to know if you would use that. It's an oatmeal shampoo, it says it's ultra gentle and to help dry skin with dandruff - which is what I think Zumi has.

We used Humilac on our elderly boy Jim. It's very gentle. It has a spray top, and we'd just spray some on a cotton ball and run that through Jim's fur. It's a solution for dry skin for dogs/cats, but it also save for small animals and birds. It really helped Jim.

We had a nekkid girl who had dry skin as well, and the Humilac worked like a charm.

I gave the olive oil a try. I didin't wanted to risk the shampoo unless someone told me to. If the olive oil doesnt work, Ill try the shampoo or would it be too much in such a short time?

Never heard of Humilac but my 2 other opentions dont work and its not too much, ill try to find it.

Give the olive oil a week to work. It can work wonders on some dogs.

My ladies love their occasional treat of olive oil mixed in baby cereal. Mmmmm..

Oh so I just put some olive oil on with no water to get it off after? :doh:

Poor Zumi, I gave her a full bath. I put some olive oil on her fur on her back and on her sides. Waited for about 5 minutes then washed it off, although I'm not sure if it all went away since her air is a bit spiked.

I was suppose to put a bit on and let it on her fur huh? :gaah:

So put a bit on her fur everyday a week without washing it off?

LOL she'll get over it.

A bit of olive oil in baby food is my girls' favourite as I said, but some people put a bit on a tiny peice of toast or something similar.

Well the olive oil on her fur helped :laugh4:

She has alot less little scabs and her fur is alot more soft. Seems to be less dandruff but there's still some. I'll feed her olive oil from now on :wallbang:

Back