Dragon has a broken foot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

I went to take care of the ratties this morning and in the process, Dragon was going down the FN wall and got her foot caught in the bars somehow. She let out a blood curdeling scream and before I could get back to the cage she had managed to free her foot. I picked her up and could tell right away it was not good. Her left rear foot was already swollen and a very noticable curve to the bones. I called the new vet (even thoough I knew there was not much to be done) wanted to check him out anyway (he gets a :thumbup: ). He confirmed that all four bones in her foot are broken and she was given metacam. He advised me to watch her foot for changes in color and loss of mobility. I have pics of her foot, but still can not download pics to computer. I hate my camera. Dragon is the one in the middle.
3069688743_fe786926a8.jpg

That poor little girl. Hopefully she will leave it alone and it will heal just fine, maybe a little awkward but nothing too bad. She must be in some pain.

lilspaz68 said:
Poor little sweetum, its a very good thing ratties heal so fast from injuries. How old is she?
She is about 16-17 months. She seems to be doing ok for now. I am keeping her confined in a cat carrier for a few days.
Godmother I don't know if she would tolerate the ice water, it is still pretty swollen. I may try a cold cloth and see if that helps.

3580109377_e3396016f6.jpg

I thought I had pics right after it happened, but they must not have saved. This photo was taken Friday. The swelling is going down, she is walking on it some now. I worry that her toes may not fully flatten out, they are really curved yet. Time will tell.

Back