Double checking Cipro dosage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalrose

I took Clooney to the vet today just for an 'old man' check-up. I mentioned he was a little sneezy but had no other symptoms. She was going to put him on cipro for a week or so just in case. We have the cipro that we used for Gus before we put him to sleep. She forgot to tell me how much to give him (it was closing time so I don't blame her for forgetting) and I wasn't able to get a hold of her while we were on our way home. After looking up the dosage on the RMCA drug chart I figured we should be giving him about 0.25cc (hes 620g). Yes? I was going to ask her tomorrow, but we might as well start it tonight.

I talked to my vet this morning...she says to give him .4mL.

I guess I'm confused about why it says .20cc/lb (increased 4 times) on the RMCA drug chart? What is that for then?

It's 250mg Cipro.

Is it the real bottle or is it a made up bottle from your vet with a label on it?

Most oral cipro is 250 mg/5 ml which is actually 50 mg/ml

he is 620 grams, I dose at 15 mg/kg

at 50 mg/ml he would get .19 cc twice a day
at 250 mg/ml he would get .04 cc NOT .4 ml...

They made it up. It doesn't say how many mLs, just that they used the 250mg tablet. 0.4ccs was the same amount they told me to give Gus.

Did they say Gus needed it twice a day?

Any chance you can get your vet to switch to Enroflaxocin and not Ciprofloxacin? Baytril is much better on most URIs.

Yeah, twice a day. When they started giving it to Gus it wasn't for a URI...they just wanted to make sure there was something they didn't miss because he was dehydrated and underweight...the respiratory symptoms came later.

And Clooney has just been a bit sneezy...no other symptoms, and we had the cipro left over from Gus, so she said to just use that since we had it anyways. She usually does give us Baytril...so I don't know if they just didn't have any when we went in or what. If it doesn't seem "serious" do you think we should still switch to another one?

I bet if you called the vet they will give you a dose... it's hard for us to say since we don't really know how they mixed the cipro.

Thanks. I'm also confused how to convert mg/lb into how many cc's needed...anyone care to explain that too?

The .20cc/lb would make sense as to why they gave Gus .4mL of Cipro (.1cc x 4 = .4cc)...so I assumed that formula was correct. But it doesn't work if they're only giving Clooney .4mL also...so I dunno.

I'm thinking that they diluted a 250mg tablet in 10mL. I called and she said it was 250mg/mL, but I think she was confused...because I was certainly given more than 1mL of medication and it says it's only 250mg on the bottle.

I mean I certainly trust my vet and I double checked when it was given to Gus that it wasn't .04mLs, because I thought .4mL seemed like a lot...more than we've given before (but we've never used Cipro either...it's always been Baytril).

Back