Does anyone know how to convert mL into mcg?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jennifervb said:
Hey SQ, :hugs:

It says 1.0mg per serving and then says 1000 mcg is equal to 1.0 mg.

it says on the bottle is that 1mL is the serving size

So wouldn't 1 serving = 1 ml = 1.0 mg ?

So if 1.0mg = 1,000mcg and 1.0 mg = 1 ml

then 1 ml = 1,000 mcg
0.001 ml = 1 mcg (divide both sides by 1000)
0.005 ml = 5 mcg ( and multiply both sides by 5)

So 5 mcg should be 0.005 ml (unless I made a mistake ... it is late and I am tired)

I would suggest a half ml syringe (ie 0.5 ml syringe) as it measures more accurately.

And you might want to measure out a one or two day supply, dilute with 1 ml of distilled water and keep in small covered container in fridge.
- Then you would give 1/2 (approx 0.5 ml) twice a day (if you took out a one day supply)
- or 1/4 (approx 0.25 ml) twice a day (if you took out a 2 day supply).

Clear as mud ... right?

Jen, you can believe in SQ's math abilities! But I had forgotten how many mcg the recommended dose was supposed to be, so I checked your first post in this thread... you said 5 mcg. SQ was calculating how many ml would be 40 mcg (dunno where she got the 40 from ETA: somewhere along the way Lilspaz started referring to 40 mcg). You will have to divide SQ's final quantity by eight if you really want 5 mcg of stuff. That would make for a very tiny amount, so you might want to dilute your liquid a bit.

Actually, this has become so confusing that I may re-read this whole thread!! :doh:

ETA: Just did that. Looks like you really do want 5mcg. SQ calculated 40 mcg in .04 ml, so you want 1/8 of .04 ml = .005 ml. That is awfully hard to measure, so you might want to dilute your liquid in order to get a more practical amount. If you took out 1 ml at a time into a separate bottle and diluted it 1:10 (e.g. 1 ml of stuff to 9 ml of water to make 10 ml total), your dose would be .05 ml of the diluted liquid.

Does that seem right to any of you?

Ooops on the conversion (40), sorry Jen, thank you Godmother for catching that and SQ for fixing her calcs. Isn't there something other than B12 you can use or something that has B12 in it?

SQ said:
jennifervb said:
Hey SQ, :hugs:

It says 1.0mg per serving and then says 1000 mcg is equal to 1.0 mg.

it says on the bottle is that 1mL is the serving size

So wouldn't 1 serving = 1 ml = 1.0 mg ?

So if 1.0mg = 1,000mcg and 1.0 mg = 1 ml

then 1 ml = 1,000 mcg
0.001 ml = 1 mcg (divide both sides by 1000)
0.005 ml = 5 mcg ( and multiply both sides by 5)

So 5 mcg should be 0.005 ml (unless I made a mistake ... it is late and I am tired)

I would suggest a half ml syringe (ie 0.5 ml syringe) as it measures more accurately.

And you might want to measure out a one or two day supply, dilute with 1 ml of distilled water and keep in small covered container in fridge.
- Then you would give 1/2 (approx 0.5 ml) twice a day (if you took out a one day supply)
- or 1/4 (approx 0.25 ml) twice a day (if you took out a 2 day supply).

Clear as mud ... right?

Thanks SQ!!!! :hugs: WOW... I came up with the same equation but I did it by dividing 1.0 by 1,000 and then multiplying by 5. I will do what you suggest and make daily supplies diluted with distilled water. I have the appropriate syringes. :)

What I don't want is for my boy to be getting too much! Yikes!!! :shock:

Well, I finally got around to acting on the info in this post. My husband brought home some vile-tasting liquid Vitamin B mix. Turns out that my stuff takes a whole ml to provide 5 mcg of B12!

so I used SQ's trick of putting it on bread. The stuff tastes so awful that I thought it would be a miracle if they ate it, so I smeared on some Strawb Nesquick.

It was a hit! Jesse, of course, tried to eat the unsullied bread :lol: but he ended up getting the Vit B also.

It was a lot less scary to do this after reading that link that Jorats posted a while back on another thread
http://www.vitaminherbuniversity.com/to ... picid=1004

It stated that, even at very large doses of B12, there were no observed adverse effects. It also said that Chlorpalm could interfere with Vit B12, so it's a good thing to know.

I started giving vit B12 to all my ratties around 2 or over two.
But since learning that vit B12 is added to their lab blocks, not sure if it is necessary.
Don't know if these is going to help but figure it is worth a try ... I presently have five older ratties with pretty bad hind end deteriation.

MCG's are micrograms which is the same value as a ML which are milliliters therefore no conversion is necessary. Hope this helps.

Maple305 said:
MCG's are micrograms which is the same value as a ML which are milliliters therefore no conversion is necessary. Hope this helps.

Milligrams is the same value as milliliters not micrograms.
It takes 1000 micrograms to make 1 milligram.

In order to convert grams to liters, you need to change the solid to a liquid using the 1:1 ratio. So your 1 mg of powder, add 1 ml of water makes it 1ml.

jorats said:
Maple305 said:

Milligrams is the same value as milliliters not micrograms.
It takes 1000 micrograms to make 1 milligram.

In order to convert grams to liters, you need to change the solid to a liquid using the 1:1 ratio. So your 1 mg of powder, add 1 ml of water makes it 1ml.

Sorry, I think I need to go back to school. Too old, brains are now mush.
Thanks for the correction.

B12 is a B vitamin (I know, stating the obvious! ;)) which is water soluble vitamin. IE: If you give too much the body will pee out what isn't needed. I'm sure if you gave some outrageous amount each day perhaps it could be too much, but a little bit extra won't hurt.

You need to worry about overdosing more with the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). The body will store these.

As for measurements...

mcg = micrograms = 1x10-6 grams
mg = milligrams = 1x10-3 grams

Both are measurements the same as you would measure anything in GRAMS just smaller. Because we are talking about teeny tiny quantities. :)

Milliliter is simply a volume and therefore the mLs never have anything to do with the actual medication. Other than you need to know how much medication is contained within the volume you are giving. (This is the concentration of the product.)

Back