Do you use an air purifier for allergens/smells?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, I have a Honeywell with a permanent filter, just sitting unused since I bought it when I had a lot of kids in my bedroom when a friend died and her cat was in the living room. Never thought of using it since as I don't smoke in the house except in the kitchen into a fan that blows out the window. Would it benefit the kids if I turned it on in the bedroom (where they live)?

When Mike and I lived in the basement of his parents' place, the air filter we bought made a huge difference in the air quality in general. Now I'm using it in the rat room and not only does it help remove some smell, but the white noise helps drown out ratty shenanigans

Has anyone heard of used or have any info on the Germ Guardian UV-C Pluggable Air Sanitizer used in rats rooms?
Uses a UV light to kill germs and odors here are some specs taken from canadian tire website:
-Kills over 98% of airborne bacteria
-Fights odours from mildew, smoke, pet areas, cooking and more
-Kills harmful bacteria known to cause: staph, pneumonia, tuberculosis, bronchitis and meningitis
-Plug it in next to the diaper pail, in the kitchen or bathroom to destroy allergens and fight unwanted odours
-Kills airborne mold spores
-Processes 456 cubic feet of air per hour
-Uses naturally occurring UV-C light - the same technology used by hospitals to sanitize

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3 ... ?locale=en

I have two air filters that are on permanently: they're both Sharp FP R65-CX. The HEPA is a bit expensive, but we only have to change it once a year.

I'm a bit confused that y'all have to replace the carbon filters - mine are washable and they suggest rewashing and reusing rather than getting new ones, because after the wash they're more active than they are just out of the box. Every six weeks or so a little light will pop on saying 'wash carbon filter' - once you do, you press the reset button, and it won't bug you again until six weeks later.

The pre-filter is also washable - it's really just a mesh meant to keep hairs and other large particles out of the HEPA filter, as that would choke it pretty badly.

I used both machines on a single room a few years back when I was having a major, major, major allergy flareup - anytime I was outside I had to walk around with a N-95 mask on (it was fall, there were airborne molds because of the leaves, plus my adrenal system was almost nonfunctional), but the air filters let me not have to wear a mask when I was in my residence room, which was far more comfortable and convenient than having to wear a mask to bed!

Mine have several settings - I usually leave them on Max, but there's pollen filtration, silent, medium, max, and there are timer programs (or energy saver, I guess they're called). They also have built in humidifiers if you need to humidify the room (but they humidify it without heating the water, which is very nice). I don't mind the noise at all - it's really just a soft shushing white noise. If you're listening to your laptop speakers without having headphones plugged in, the white noise can make softer words tricky to make out, but when that happens my boyfriend (I always use headphones) just turns it on silent running, and goes back to listening. Honestly, our air conditioner makes more noise than both air filters combined and then tripled. It's great in an apartment too - that way you don't have to hear every word the neighbours say!

Back