DIY Modifications of the Small Superpet Cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Tonight I was working late, and I stopped for a bit and checked out craigslist. I often find rats on there to cross-post and email for pictures to post. Well someone was getting rid of their small Superpet (teal base) cheap.

010302010412011602200711138d3a5e6613e3975246009988.jpg

I already have one, and Melissa is giving me another one. So I decided to try to figure out how to put 2 of them together (side by side) and use the backs for shelves and ramps. :)

The front and back will both have the 2 doors. I'll have to figure out a base but that can be later on. Its not a bad cage overall just sooo narrow. I am making it for Rennie and Shadow and Shadow needs her beloved Superpet wheel. :roll: I thought it might be fun to try to make a real cage out of this.

Anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. :lol:

While you and I have already gone over this, I figured I'd share with the rest of the class. :wink:

Using corplast for the new base would be cheap and efficient. It'll fit the cage measurements exactly and you won't have to worry about someone getting a tail/toe/nose/god only knows between the cage and a badly fitted base. You can get corplast quite cheap when you shop around some. [Hint : Talk to GP Rescues and/or owners. ]

Do you mean back to back? I wonder if you can keep the current bases and just cut a bit of space to allow the two sides to join? Am I making any sense? lol

I took my two super pets (a two story like your pic and one story rat cage) and made a 24x24 cage. I bought the tray from Superpet here is a pic. I just cut the back off of both. I also cut the back pieces to fit on the sides of the one story so it would almost match the two story and zip tied it together. I hope this makes sense. Your will be a whole lot easier you will just have to remove the backs. Jo's idea works for the trays, just take a hack saw and put slit in the tray rim to fit the wire through
DSC01477.jpg

Shopping list

Good wirecutters
Zipties (of course)
Hack saw :shock:

Anything else?

I was trying to figure out how I could keep the base....hmmm. Cutting into it might work but how would I join the 2 bases together? Zipties? Crazy glue? LOL

Do you realize I will have 4 doors on this cage? LOLOL

I wouldn't join the bases. Make one out of coroplast or grab a big tupperware container, and do a drop-in style.

As for tools... dremel? And something to sand/buff down sharp edges with? I don't know, I've never done heavy duty cage mods.

I did another one with 2 hagen cages for a couple of my geriatric ratties. :)

2storygeriatriccage.jpg

But a good pair of wire cutters makes nice clean cuts that should be flush and not jagged.

You could drill small holes on either short side of the bases and zip tie them there. If you didn't cut the entire long side out, you could zip tie it at intervals across that, too.. If you did cut the entire side out, you could duct tape the hell out of the bottom and hope no one chews a whole lot?

I'm still liking the coroplast, personally.. You can make it just as deep as the SP pan if you wanted to.

Back