Difficult decisions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat.charmer

Dolby and Portia, my husband's hooded rexes, are going to be three years old Dec 27th. Dolby has a large tumor on her left leg, Portia has one low on her abdomen. They aren't in pain and they aren't bothered by the tumors at all, except for difficulties in climbing the bars of the cage. They still have all the feisty spunk they had when they were young'uns. They eat voraciously, drink, sleep together, groom, fight, play, cuddle, chew on things they aren't supposed to be chewing on...

But I'm worried about the tumor popping, painful complications etc. I don't think either one of them would do well in surgery. So I guess my question is - how will I know when it's time to help them cross over the bridge peacefully? It seems so wrong to do it now, when they're still so active and full of life! But I don't want to wait too long either...It's hard for my husband and me as we don't have a car so we can't rush out to the nearest vet with ease.

20060930_1707.jpg

When they stop enjoying life, that's when I'd say it's time. Right now, it sounds like they are still happy and it sounds like the tumorrs aren't bothering them much. You will know when the time comes.

I agree. I would think you'd be bothered by your decision if you took their lives away when they are still as happy as ever.

It usually is a progressive thing and you'll have time to arrange for their departure, so let them guide you. :)

I'm going through a similar situation with my girl, Penny. I know she would not do well in surgery, but am worried about having to watch for her quality of life to diminish. She is also still her happy self, and it seems wrong to take that away from her. All we can do is make them comfortable and be vigilant for that hard time. I know how hard it is, stay strong.

Gorgeous ladies. Most tumors don't pop according to my vet. They get like bedsores (from rubbing on the floors) that develop over time. Ratties are pretty good at showing us it's time to go. I can see it in their eyes. It's a hard decision, I know. :hugs:

It's the worst especially when the tumour is growing so large but the spark has not left the eyes yet. It's really a hard decision, one that can only be made by you and your hubby. The day will come when you will see that it's just too much. Each one, on their own time will say when they are doing playing in this world.
Your girls are gorgeous, they look like my Cande.

What gorgeous girls. I had two very old girls develop tumors and I decided against surgery but I made their lives wonderful until they were no longer happy. Like others have said, they have a way of letting you know when it's time. :cuddle:

Thanks everybody.

Watching them right now in their little 'retirement' cage - I feel a lot better knowing that I've made the right decision so far (one is chewing on a toilet paper tube, the other is building a nest - these two are the most amazing cage architects I have ever seen - they often work in tandem to rearrange their living space, I've never seen anything like it). It's frustrating because non-rat people will see them and freak out, not understanding how tough and not bothered by the tumors they are.

I have 3 I am watching carefully. Aura with her horrible tumour on her chest...Lottie with her inguinal tumour (its growing faster now), and Asha with her paralysis and very old age. I am just watching their overall body language and their eyes. Asha seemed so unhappy for a couple of days, I thought she was telling me she was tired, but instead I separated her out and she is a bruxxing boggling happy little girl now. I let her hang out with Bronwen sometimes on the couch...

You'll know :)

It's funny but the biggest reason I know they're still doing fine is cause they pick on the younger girls for food - they're the crankiest old ladies!! And last night I saw Dolby brux and boggle while cuddling with her sister. But it's kind of nerve wracking, waking up every morning or coming home every day and doing the rat count and check up.

Latest posts

Back