Depression

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gummi Bear

My question is: Can rats get depression? After losing his brother my remaining boy rat has been denying food and water and just generally being unpleasant. Do you guys think he is suffering from depression from losing his brother, his companion since birth? Part of me wants to get another boy rat to keep him company but I don't want to feel like I am replacing Cookie, my poor boy. What should I do besides give Oreo lots of loves and cuddles?

i don't no if hes depressed but u should always have a pair of rats together you wouldnt be replacing cookie you would just be giving his brother a friend. Just think of it this way you gave cookie a long and happy life and hed want his brother to be happy . dont u think ?

When rats are closely bonded it's not unusual at all for them to grieve for their departed cage mate. Give him lots of attention, love and treats and hopefully he'll be back to his old self soon.

But you should also keep a close eye on his health. If he's Cookie's brother and is the same age trouble could be brewing.

How old is Oreo? I'm not so sure that getting a new cage mate is a good idea if he's older - unless you're willing to consider a spayed female. My experience with old boys is that they're happy to share their retirement with a lady - but a new male? - Not so much.

I am looking for an adult ratty, I know throwing a baby in with him is asking for trouble, I am thinking of getting an unwanted rat so I am not supporting a pet store either. Oreo is 15 months now so I would probably have to get two if I get younger rats because Oreo probably won't live longer than another year or two. Then if I bought another single rat he'd be alone :( Plus I am expecting to end up in Alberta next year and I won't be able to take my ratties. I have a friend who would possibly take them when/if I go. I am seriously toying with the idea of getting another rat, I just need to find the right one for Oreo.

^mumsyrat-I have two un-spayed females, If Oreo was younger I might have gotten him fixed and put the girls in with him. The two girls were unexpected, a girl from the pet store I worked at bought Mojo but was unable to keep her, so I took her in and had to buy her a friend, the girls are about 6 months and Cookie is 15 months.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Rat's are capable of experiencing what we call depression and grieving over the death of a friend or family member, at least in my opinion. Trying to bond him with another rat right now may be tricky. He could possibly be less receptive to the experience because of the circumstances or he could light up like a Christmas tree. It's a chance that's ultimately up to you to decide if it's worth taking. If it were me I would take the chance since Rat's are such social creatures, only if I was prepared for the possibility of them not getting along and having a plan B.

When it comes adding a new furry family member with the hopes of bonding them, it's always best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If it turns out they are not a good match, could you provide another set-up for two lone rats? Afford trying to neuter? Those are the type of questions to ask. Oreo would probably be much happier just having a member of his kind in a cage beside his if it doesn't work out.

Try not to see it as you are replacing Cookie, you are just starting another journey with a new rattie.
I'm sure Cookie would want you to share the love you showed him to another rat.

-Erika

Happi Wolf- I know exactly what you mean, If I could manage right now I would get Mojo and Harm fixed so I could put them in with Oreo but I don't know if anyone else here lives in Newfoundland, but there is a shortage of well trained small animal/exotic veterinarians here, and I wouldn't want to risk it if the vet doesn't know 100% what they are doing. And I am still on the rail about getting him a pal, I want to, but I just want to see how Oreo will be in the next few days with more attention on my part.

Back