Debbie isn't doing well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Debbie was one year old in Aug. She was put on heart meds and diagnosed with an enlarged heart in the early fall.
This past week her breathing has been more and more conjested ...
I have been uping her lasix dosage and feq to compansate ... watching her hydration level carefully.
Today she is getting a lot worse ... tho she is still willing to take food off my finger, and does some grooming.
A few months ago, she was this bad but a med adjustment turned it around.
I'm afraid that isn't going to work this time :sad3:
Her feet are a bit too pale, but no gasping or open mouth breathing ...

Trying to give the meds a chance to work before taking her in to be pts. :sad3:

It baffles me just how bad the heart is in the maritime rats. It would be like how in the Sudbury area, the rats are aggressive.

All I have to say is STUPID breeders! They need to stop breeding these sick rats. :cry4:

Poor Debbie... it's such a helpless feeling watching them go through this. :sad3:

jorats said:
It baffles me just how bad the heart is in the maritime rats. It would be like how in the Sudbury area, the rats are aggressive.

All I have to say is STUPID breeders! They need to stop breeding these sick rats. :cry4:

Poor Debbie... it's such a helpless feeling watching them go through this. :sad3:

Yes ......

It is the mill that the pet stores are getting their rats from.
I think heart problems are way under reported because the only symptom we are seeing is respir problems, so most people just treat with antibiotics and when they don't work and the rats die, they assume it was myco. When Caleb developed heart failure, we tried various combos of antibiotics but none worked. My vet thought he had a drug resistent respir. infection until we saw his enlarged heart on an x-ray and tried him on heart meds.

Now when my rats don't respond to different combos of antibiotics, I try them on one heart med (as suggested in the Rat Health Care book). If they respond, then they are put on several heart meds and given an x-ray to see if their heart is enlarged, so my vet will know if they need to be on digixon. The heart meds usually give the ratties from 2 to 6 months of good quality time until they are too ill and need to be pts.

That you for your support

I pumped the lasix into Debbie, and rehydrated her twice ... she sounds much better but still congestion in her lungs. Hoping to get this under control but .... :sad3:

Back