Debating getting another rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2333

I have been debating getting another rat for about 2 weeks now.

My rat Theo is about 1 year and 11 months old. His cagemate Jasper died recently. I think he is a bit lonely and would be happier if I found another rat for him.

I am debating getting another rat. I am inclined to getting a baby rat.

Theo is friendly and not aggressive at all so I don't think introductions would be a major issue.

My idea/plan is to get a baby rat to keep Theo company for the rest of his life and then give that rat away to a rat rescue and contribute a large sum of money to cover any future vet expenses.

I had a rat before named Skittle and he was alone for about 3 months then I got more rats and he didn't seem to appreciate their company cause he was so old by then.

I just want to do the right thing for Theo but I am not looking to commit myself to getting more rats long-term right now.

Any comments, advice or opinions?

Do you think baby rats would keep Theo from being lonely?

I agree, that's a good plan - but how about fostering a rat instead of getting one? That way, you would help a rescue while giving Theo some company...

Babies would constitute a long term thing. Think hard before you adopt any.

Theo needs companionship,he's lucky to have an person who is so in tune to his needs. Fostering is one idea. If you're committed to rat for a while longer adoption is a good choice. My old man Barnaby was lonely when his brother died, I adopted 2 youngsters and he was a happy boy til he passed. Sure that meant committing to 2 youngsters, but its been happily worth it :)

temblabamomo said:

Theo needs companionship,he's lucky to have an person who is so in tune to his needs. Fostering is one idea. If you're committed to rat for a while longer adoption is a good choice. My old man Barnaby was lonely when his brother died, I adopted 2 youngsters and he was a happy boy til he passed. Sure that meant committing to 2 youngsters, but its been happily worth it :)

I wanted to foster but the local rat rescue is not active right now. The closest rat rescue is over 2 hours away. I don't know if they would foster to someone so far away.

dan2333 said:
temblabamomo said:

I wanted to foster but the local rat rescue is not active right now. The closest rat rescue is over 2 hours away. I don't know if they would foster to someone so far away.

No harm asking at all :)

Back