Dealing with new rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie

So, about two months I got 4 new rat's, I had them in a smaller cage. Took them to the vet, Had them checked by the vet before I put them in a playtime with my other 2.
But now since they are in with my my other girl's they want NOTHING to do with me, Everyday i've been doing some " trust training " They never bitten me, But sometimes they get more confidence when i see my little old lady come and say hello and take some of the baby food off my spoon ( My old lady has made it 30 months today! :joy: )
Anyways, I will be open to suggestions, I take them out, and have a " play time with them " but they want nothing to with me, I think I sat with them today alone 5 hours. I'm at wit's end I'm lost, Please help!

It takes a while for some rat's to gain trust. How old are they? were they socialized when they were young?
Some rat's neve like to be handled. I have a girl who I have had now for 8 months, and she is only now warming up to being picked up, for the first few months she would not come near me.
Keep doing what your doing & never approach from behind, always let them see your hands. Also when feedign treats, let them take them out out of your hands.

Are you saying that the new rats as well as the current rats don't want to play with you? What do they do during out time? Do they go hide or play around?

Have you tried the "down the shirt" trick with the new girls? The older girls especially the really old one might just be too tired to go play anymore. Have you tried to bring her to you so she can cuddle on you. Does she stay there?
Another thing... how big is the cage? When something is off with their habitat, it can make rats not be so happy and social.

This reminds me of a group of 7 that CCH had...they just loved each other so much they didn't need human love at first but they eventually came around. Hopefully xxchelle sees this and can offer some advice.

jorats said:
Are you saying that the new rats as well as the current rats don't want to play with you? What do they do during out time? Do they go hide or play around?

Have you tried the "down the shirt" trick with the new girls? The older girls especially the really old one might just be too tired to go play anymore. Have you tried to bring her to you so she can cuddle on you. Does she stay there?
Another thing... how big is the cage? When something is off with their habitat, it can make rats not be so happy and social.

Olive ( loves being out ) Spot, ( my oldest ) has always been shy. I think she might still be dealing with the loss of her sister Ninja, Who I had to put down
Because of the tumor on her nose, ( she was 32 months ) As far as play time, I use my cat's play gym, Stairs so they go in the cage is they want, Wheels tubes, everything
a rat could possibly want to play with. I have tried down the shirt trick, All of them just want to run away, They are in a Ferret nation cage, Double. The only thing that is new with the cage is the litter box.

Do you sit down with them at out time? I'm thinking maybe they love to play so much that they don't have time for cuddles? I would continue to sit with them during out time and keep grabbing one and cuddling and put back then grab another... also, have a treat on you, like cheerios, each time you grab a rat and cuddle, send her away with a cheerio.

Ahhh yes my crazy cage of 7. They were AWESOME and funny and loved each other, but for the first like 3 months, they could care less about me, or any other human.

Then one day they decided they wanted to love me, and started giving me TONS of kisses during out time, and from then out they've loved people SO much. Many of them were around the same age, so I really think it's an age thing in their case. Once they passed a "young" stage and matured, they started to enjoy my company more and more.

They've since been adopted, but I've had the chance to visit them a couple times (I'm going today, actually!) and they're JUST as loving, if not more, than when they left here.

Sounds like they are just active young ratties that want to run, explore and play.
Do what jorats suggested.
Eventually as they age they will have more time for you.
When I have ratties out I usually lie on the couch. The younger ratties will jump on me and say hi, maybe have a quick cuddle and then be off again to race around and explore.

I agree with everyone, they just want to have fun. Like Jo said, I pick up one rat for a few minutes, kiss them and put them down. Do that with all of them. It becomes a game for you and the rats. Eventually they stay longer with me. And of course for the cheerios. lol

Back