Deafness in Older Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorachiKatashi

I brought Whiskers home about two months ago. To the best of my knowledge, he's about twenty months old, but he could be older. I've suspected for a few weeks now that he may be losing his hearing, and he definitely seems to be now. When I first brought him home, he always responded to my voice, but now, only very loud noises (like the vacuum) seem to get his attention. His ears don't move at all the way the boys' do, and even things like clapping my hands to snapping my fingers behind his head don't get his attention. I don't think it's just a matter of ignoring me; once he turns around and sees me, he still comes running over like he always has. I also realize this may be a big part of why his attitude towards Oskar and Vin changed so suddenly. Maybe he couldn't hear them anymore and was scared?

Anyone else have experience with a rat who is partially or fully deaf? My cat (now eight-years-old) was born deaf, so this isn't anything new for me. Not much I can do about deafness, but I was wondering of the best way to wake him up when I need to (such as when it's time for his medicine) without scaring him.

Try blowing gently on him. I think someone with a blind, deaf hamster said they did that to get its attention. When he's out and about, you could try drumming on the floor... that works for calling deaf cats, they can feel the vibrations.

My old female Nevermore, now long gone, lived to be a little over 3 years old. When she was two- two 1/2 she started going deaf as well. I found that running my hand along the metal bars of her cage was a good way to wake her up without giving her a fright. She felt the vibrations, and woke right up :)
Hope that helps!

The thing with rats, before using sight or hearing, they rely on smell. So he may not hear but he definitely smells and with that, he knows exactly who's around him. He'll manage quite well, no worries.

Ratty Momma said:
poor whiskers :(

Awh, don't worry about him! He's fine. Anyone in the deaf community will tell you that being deaf isn't a disability, simply different. He's just my special little guy. If he is going deaf (which I can't 100% confirm without a BAER test that I'm sure could cost a small fortune and be fairly pointless,) it just means the boys jumping around above him won't wake him up! <3

Back